Mundy Growth/General Emu Chat Thread

You sure could experiment! I've only been dumb enough to do it a couple of times. For example, I made a female sound while standing near Tooshtoosh, and he immediately forgot that I was me, and decided I was a female and a threat, and started thinking about giving me a good peck.
You would have to find a discernible male vocalisation on Youtube. Practise imitating it. Then see if Mundy reacts
He didn't seem to care much for the vocalizations, even when I played them on a speaker. Maybe it's on account of him never having heard them before so he doesn't recognize them?

He was more calm yesterday than he was the night of the 3rd; I think it might be because there was a practice finale for the fireworks on the 3rd. When the actual finale came on the 4th, he was much less agitated than the previous night. I brought him into my room to sleep at about 11pm and he went to bed without issue, even with fireworks popping off here and there from the neighbors. He was quiet all through the night and was laying by my bed when I woke up.

'Maybe it's on account of him never having heard them before so he doesn't recognize them?'

Brief this morning: linguists are all over this. Some birds innately know their vocab. Some learn it. Some are half way between

'he was much less agitated than the previous night.'

My observation is that there's a sort of 'control panel' in their minds. The default settings are all 'Fear! (run away!)' Then exposure results in a particular stimulus swtiching from 'Fear' to 'Not fear.'

Uno Chick is the best example. Eric brought her here when she was really small. I chose to tame her. She stayed for about a year.

Eventually -- bear in mind she's wild -- she saw me as literally a non-event. The emus here are not handled. At most I can give their neck a stroke. But if I were sitting in the garden, with a handful of something Yummy, she'd practically clamber up onto me to get to it.

[Actually, this is a constant thing here. Once tame, the chicks will come up to the table in the garden, and try again and again to eat my food: rice crackers, pasta, salad, fruit]

SE

Last edited:
Actually, this is a constant thing here. Once tame, the chicks will come up to the table in the garden, and try again and again to eat my food: rice crackers, pasta, salad, fruit
Oh yeah, I'm still in the process of teaching him not to steal food off my plate! So far he's stolen eveything from chicken to garlic bread! He's getting better now, though — he'll only try to take something that's brightly colored, namely ketchup. He has a fascination with it!

It makes me wonder if emus will go after other emus at the sight of blood? I've personally seen turkeys go after each other once one starts bleeding, and I know chickens can kill each other if once has an injury because all the other chickens will peck at the blood and make the injury even worse.

'It makes me wonder if emus will go after other emus at the sight of blood? I've personally seen turkeys go after each other once one starts bleeding, and I know chickens can kill each other if once has an injury because all the other chickens will peck at the blood and make the injury even worse.'

I am still figuring this one out. But it seeeems that an injured emu will be killed by the uninjured.

'It makes me wonder if emus will go after other emus at the sight of blood? I've personally seen turkeys go after each other once one starts bleeding, and I know chickens can kill each other if once has an injury because all the other chickens will peck at the blood and make the injury even worse.'

I am still figuring this one out. But it seeeems that an injured emu will be killed by the uninjured.
If they're triggered by the blood, it'd have to be a large amount. A bowl of ketchup (like for dipping fries) will get his attention, but small amounts he won't pay any attention to.

Back
Top Bottom