Muscovy eggs and broody chicken

IsolatedShadow

Hatching
Mar 21, 2024
I have two broody hens that are sitting on muscovy eggs- one sitting on one egg and another sitting on two (three eggs collectively)

Two nights ago we candled the eggs and I saw movement- what looked like ducks kicking around in the eggs. I'm assuming that means they internally pipped. Yet two days later, there's not a single pip on the exterior of the eggs. I did also have another duckling that hatched a day or so before the candling but died mid-hatch. Is there anything I can do for these eggs? I have an incubator but most of the slots are filled with eggs that are going to be going for a week come tomorrow. Could I check to see if they're alive and put them in the floor of the Incubator (cabinet incubator)? Would that harm the chick eggs I'm trying to hatch if I bump the humidity up that much for duck eggs??

Muscovy eggs take a couple days to hatch from start to finish, I would leave the eggs with the hens.

Muscovy eggs take a couple days to hatch from start to finish, I would leave the eggs with the hens.
Understood! Sorry I'm just anxious. We had one egg that was 'hatched' but the bird was dead- fully formed, half out of the egg, but dead and rotten egg smell permeated through the coop. It happened about 2 or 3 days ago so I'm just worried. So wait and see what happens then?

Understood! Sorry I'm just anxious. We had one egg that was 'hatched' but the bird was dead- fully deformed, half out of the egg, but dead and rotten egg smell permeated through the coop. It happened about 2 or 3 days ago so I'm just worried. So wait and see what happens then?
That's my advice, but you're the one that's right there. If you have a deep inner feeling that it would be better to take them and put them in an incubator, perhaps you should. Sometimes our instinct is more accurate than any advice we can get.
If you just really feel better having them in the incubator don't feel bad doing it.

That's my advice, but you're the one that's right there. If you have a deep inner feeling that it would be better to take them and put them in an incubator, perhaps you should. Sometimes our instinct is more accurate than any advice we can get.
If you just really feel better having them in the incubator don't feel bad doing it.
I would if I didn't worry for the eggs already inside. I have about 90 eggs in the incubator, and 6doz of those I bought off someone for 140 so I'm nervous to accidentally hurt the babies developing by storing the duck eggs and cranking the humidity to 60-70% from 40. I'm only on day 6 right now.
The chick eggs are BCM, olive egger, and CCL, for reference. I may leave them a little bit longer and see what happens, if we lose the eggs it's not a huge loss, I just wanted to see if the hens could hatch them since they keep running our hen off :(

Although I currently don't have ducks I had muscovy for eight years, during that time I had hens hatch duck eggs fairly regularly without any problems.

Although I currently don't have ducks I had muscovy for eight years, during that time I had hens hatch duck eggs fairly regularly without any problems.
my grandmother had reported that all three eggs looked to have pipped this afternoon! We'll be keeping an eye, but it looks like the chicken mamas are doing their job, and hopefully the one baby was just a fluke!! Thanks for helping, I greatly appreciate

my grandmother had reported that all three eggs looked to have pipped this afternoon! We'll be keeping an eye, but it looks like the chicken mamas are doing their job, and hopefully the one baby was just a fluke!! Thanks for helping, I greatly appreciate
:wee:wee:wee:wee:wee

Back
Top Bottom