Mute swans in california

IwannaBEaMERMAID

Songster
10 Years
Oct 28, 2009
Beverly Hills, CA
i REALLLY want some mute swans, i have been looking but on murrymcmurry site it said they cant ship mute swans into california. sooo does that mean if I find a breeder IN CALIFORNIA I CAN GET THEM?? BTW... anyone know a breeder in california
roll.png

can anybody rate mute swans on a skill level? I'm leary about keeping swans especially with my kids but mutes are so beautiful they seem like a bird I want to try my hand at raising eventually. Also I know they need water apx. 3ft deep but how much water area do they need, land area, shelter? (I hope this isn't considered hi jacking, I figured it was relivant to the post)

Last edited:
can anybody rate mute swans on a skill level? I'm leary about keeping swans especially with my kids but mutes are so beautiful they seem like a bird I want to try my hand at raising eventually. Also I know they need water apx. 3ft deep but how much water area do they need, land area, shelter? (I hope this isn't considered hi jacking, I figured it was relivant to the post)
Mute swans should have a mate for comfort. They need not more, but not less, that 32 sf of water space. The water can be 1 foot deep or deeper. The water should be changed and pond bottom cleaned (unless the pond is large) every two days. They are safe with children, although its best if children and pets not be allowed to molest swans. Mute swans need lots of green grass food supply - their died should over 50 percent green grass or lake weed. They should not be forced to feed on grains/pellets exclusively. If their environment is not large enough to give them plenty of exorcise, then their sleeping space (probably the pond or ponds) should be roofed over, given that the metabolic rate decreased with less exorcise. Guard against bumblefoot by giving them soft under foot, clean walking space. Swans prefer to sleep on water. If the pond is not sufficiently large for them to have protection from predators, then the sleeping area must be caged on all sides and roof. Swans will try to nest in March or April, sometimes in February. If insufficient thought has been given to what to do with grown cygnets, then it best to defer owning swans.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom