My 18 month old chicken laying Rubber eggs

Aug 30, 2023
I have an 18 month old Ameracauna. She's very sweet and friendly. She has started laying rubber eggs at least once weekly for the last month. Last week in one day she laid one regular egg, one rubber and one yoke only. Then she will lay normal eggs once a day for 4 days or so. Take a day off then lay a rubber egg. She is healthy, we give a 17% organic layer feed, oyster shells in a bowl always available. We completely stopped all snacks awhile ago with some mealworms once a week. I checked her crop, her vent and it's all fine she has not started molting yet. Eating, drinking and active. She has laid them in the past off and on and her shells have always been thin. What can I give her to boost her calcium or do you wise chicken people have another suggestion? I love my girls, they are pets and want to make sure I am doing everything right. Thanks for your help.

I would try giving her some calcium citrate + D3 tablets to see if it helps. 200-400 mg a day for 1-2 weeks. It can be hard to find at the pharmacy, since it sometimes isn't with the other vitamin supplements. Or you can buy some online.

Do you ever notice her eating the oyster shell? I ended up having to get flaked oyster shell for my little princesses to be willing to eat it,😄 you could try that if she doesn't seem interested. You can also feed their egg shells back to them.

I would try giving her some calcium citrate + D3 tablets to see if it helps. 200-400 mg a day for 1-2 weeks. It can be hard to find at the pharmacy, since it sometimes isn't with the other vitamin supplements. Or you can buy some online.

Do you ever notice her eating the oyster shell? I ended up having to get flaked oyster shell for my little princesses to be willing to eat it,😄 you could try that if she doesn't seem interested. You can also feed their egg shells back to them.
We do feed the egg shells back but didn't realize there was flaked oyster shells. She does eat the shells that or at least pecks them. When you give calcium citrate +D3 how do you get them to take it? Is there a trick I need to know? She doesn't have wattles of any kind. I've read pull down on their wattles to get them to open beak. Thank you for your response! I appreciate it.

Oh, I usually wiggle my fingers into both sides of their mouths till it opens, gently but firmly. Just tuck the pill in the back of their throat and then release so they can swallow. Wait a minute to make sure she got it down.

Oh, I usually wiggle my fingers into both sides of their mouths till it opens, gently but firmly. Just tuck the pill in the back of their throat and then release so they can swallow. Wait a minute to make sure she got it down.
Thank you! Sent hubby to a different store than the one I went to yesterday. Couldn't find Calcium citrate d3 since I've been reading threads trying to resolve her problem. She's the sweetest hen who lays beautiful blue eggs. She let's me handle her no problem so wish me luck!

Tell him to ask someone to help him find it. A lady had to look for it for 5 whole minutes before she found it.

Tell him to ask someone to help him find it. A lady had to look for it for 5 whole minutes before she found it.
Thank you,
We got it. Those pills are huge I cut one in 1/3 she was so upset fighting me to take it. I ended up crushing it and mixing a pea size yogurt with it which she happily ate. I don't want to give her yogurt everyday so will try the pill again this morning. My chickens are easy to handle and even fall asleep in our laps but trying to get her to take that was a whole different ball game.

Thank you,
We got it. Those pills are huge I cut one in 1/3 she was so upset fighting me to take it. I ended up crushing it and mixing a pea size yogurt with it which she happily ate. I don't want to give her yogurt everyday so will try the pill again this morning. My chickens are easy to handle and even fall asleep in our laps but trying to get her to take that was a whole different ball game.
Some of them sure are fighters.

You can try it at night and see if she is a little calmer. She should be able to take a large pill down if you tuck it down there and let her do it.

Walgreens sells smaller pills of that supplement, but then you have to get a couple in their mouths. Not sure which is better.

Back
Top Bottom