My broody named Redd and her story.

Just ten weeks ago I faced this problem of a staggered hatch and the decision of what to do about unhatched eggs beyond the normal 21 day incubation period. As it was, the two chicks hatched on day 20, so I had good reason to expect more to hatch.

Another day went by and I was just about to toss a coin and go with what ever turned up, when my broody got up off the unhatched eggs, shook herself off, made a shrill roar, and hauled the two hatchings off the nest to eat. She was done.

Most broodies reach a point where their instinct to care for the live chicks is stronger than their urge to sit on eggs. Therefore the matter resolves itself.

Of course, you may choose to play it safe and take the unhatched eggs away to a makeshift setup indoors, as I did, with a heating pad and a moist towel for the next twelve hours to be sure there are no viable chicks about to jump out of an egg. But most broodies have a good sense whether or not there are any stragglers, probably being willing to give them a few more hours to do their thing before abandoning them.

Back
Top Bottom