My Buff Orphington

claraserena

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
My Buff Orphington, Laydy Madonna, hatched out five beautiful chicks last Thursday. All are doing fine. She just loves being a a mom.
Here's my question. She was sitting on 12 eggs. After the five hatched, I found 5 eggs pushed about a foot from the nest. They were cold and she was no longer sitting still so I didn't try to put them back. Next day she was up and the two eggs left under her were cold. She was obviously done sitting and since we don't have an incubator I just set these eggs aside. A couple of day slater I wanted to see maybe why she had rejected these eggs. ONe was infertile. The others appear to have had fully formed chicks. Very sad. Why would she be off thee eggs so quickly--the first time she was broody she stayed on a couple of days after the first one hatched and hatched 9 (4 didn't make it). Is there anything I could have done?

Usually the momma hen knows if there was something wrong inside the egg. Even tho they seemed to be prefectly formed...they could have been sickly. Mother nature tells them. I would just love the little ones you have, and keep them all healthy and happy. Not sure if you had an incubator if they would have made it. Some things just cant be explained.

Back
Top Bottom