My chicken’s eye doesn’t look well

Diacar820

Hatching
May 18, 2023
Hello, my chicken’s right eye doesn’t look well. The other one is fine and she is acting fine and eating well etc. I’m wondering what happened to eye and what I could do to help her!

Attachments

• IMG_6842.png
    IMG_6842.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
I’m not too sure but could she have been pecked and injured her eye? How old is she and what other birds do you have?

Another thought is that the scabs could be fowl pox, but I’m not sure if that would cause the disfigurement.

Is this a recent development?

I’m not too sure but could she have been pecked and injured her eye? How old is she and what other birds do you have?

Another thought is that the scabs could be fowl pox, but I’m not sure if that would cause the disfigurement.

Is this a recent development?
Hello! She is a about a month old! Perhaps she could could’ve been pecked by her fellow peers (6 other chickens) but they get along pretty well though. I noticed her eye like this about a week ago and I though it would heal on its own but it only seems to get worse by that I mean more swollen and watery.

Hello! She is a about a month old! Perhaps she could could’ve been pecked by her fellow peers (6 other chickens) but they get along pretty well though. I noticed her eye like this about a week ago and I though it would heal on its own but it only seems to get worse by that I mean more swollen and watery.

Perhaps you could spray it with some Vetericyn to see if that helps. Maybe watch all the birds together to see if she’s getting picked on.

Does her vision seem affected? It’s her left eye which should be long range.

The other thing is that there is a kind of Mareks that affects the eyes. Hopefully it’s not that. I’m not too familiar with Mareks and all its manifestations so I can’t help much more than identify it as a possibility.

Check the inside of her mouth for any lesions or wounds as well. Is she sneezing, coughing, or any discharge from nose?

Hello, my chicken’s right eye doesn’t look well. The other one is fine and she is acting fine and eating well etc. I’m wondering what happened to eye and what I could do to help her!
I would rinse her eye with some saline solution as there could be something in there and that will help clean any gunk out.

Then I'd get some Terramycin ointment from a pet store as that's an antibiotic for the eyes, or regular Neosporin or Vetericyn would work too, and put a bit on its eye. If it's not an infection, it won't hurt, but if it's starting to be one, it should take care of it.

I hope your chick gets better. It sure is a cutie!

What breed of chicken is this? I would agree that it looks like ocular Mareks. It looks like peck wounds around the eye, but could be fowl pox. Mareks symptoms usually that occur later than one month old. The eye looks blinded unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom