My Chicken Survived 25f in the Woods Alone!!! And my Guinea too!!!!

swampducks

Overrun With Guineas
11 Years
Feb 29, 2008
Barton City, MI
One of my buckeye hens and a guinea ran off into the woods last night at bedtime instead of dutifully following the others back into the coop. At one point I got close to the guinea with a net but she sailed up into the trees never to be seen again. The chicken just vanished. I knew it was going to get cold so there I am outside with a flashlight last night hoping to stumble on one. No luck.

After a restless sleep (and dreaming about finding my frozen chicken in the snow and trying to resuscitate her) I was back out in the woods. I first checked inside the fence then went to the other side deeper into the swamp and after 10 minutes nearly stepped on her! She jumped up and then gave me a merry chase under downed trees, over them, between, etc. I finally caught her when she tried to shove herself through one of the fence holes. I have never been so happy to see a chicken!

There is still no sign of my guinea though. I hope she made it and comes up to the coop run when she hears her friends. As for them, NO ONE is free ranging today!

(edited title since the guinea came back!)
smile.png

Last edited:
I am so happy for you that you found your chicken. They can make us worry quite a bit sometimes. I think it's a funny thing that the rest of the coop is on timeout!
lol.png

One of my sex links is still MIA. I'm thinking it's gone now since it's been days and the weather here has been in the 20s' as well. There was a dog massacre and she ran off and haven't seen her since
sad.png
Happy to see that you found yours
big_smile.png
Hope you find the other one!

I'm sorry your sex-linked is missing. There hasn't been any sign of my missing guinea hen. Only good thing is I haven't found a body. Then again never knowing isn't a good thing either.
sad.png

My missing guinea came back this afternoon!
big_smile.png
Of course, the stupid rooster (the only bird free ranging to keep him from bugging the smaller birds) attacked and drove her off, but she came back a couple hours later. I waited till dark and grabbed her with the net after she perched on a fence outside the coop!

Tomorrow will be another day the guineas and chickens do not get to go outside the run!!

As long as nothing wants a late night chicken/guinea dinner, they're usually okay...even when it gets really cold out, they can fluff up and stay warm...I mean they come with their own down coats.
Sorry about your SexLink, hanging...

Back
Top Bottom