My fierce Sally is gone

Callender Girl

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 18, 2018
North Central Iowa
Sally, a Barred Cochin Bantam, was lying dead in the coop doorway this morning. I have no idea what happened, but it's bitterly cold here again today, and sometimes, that seems to be all it takes. Yesterday, she was sitting outside the coop, soaking up the sun.

Sally came to live here five years ago. All I wanted was my friend's BLRW but she rightly insisted that I shouldn't bring Marietta home alone. So, I took Sally and, even more reluctantly, her Cochin Bantam "sister," Gabby, a red frizzle. All were already laying hens.

Early on, Sally was limping from a stricture wound, which required surgery. Initially, it looked good. But her leg eventually lost all its feathers and kind of locked in place. That was never a handicap for Sally. She was a fearless little warrior and took no grief from anyone when all the poultry were loose together during the day.

I am certain none of her eggs were ever fertilized by Billy Boy, the Cochin Bantam rooster who lived in another coop. I watched her chase his fluffy butt under his own coop more times than I can count!

Before her surgery, she had the longest set of leg/feet feathers I've even seen, and it made her look like she was wearing striped clown shoes. Afterward, she could always hop along as fast as any of the other chickens with two good feet could run.

Sally and Gabby have always lived together. They had their own small coop/run here and were inseparable. In fact, I never just called one of them, it was always "SallyandGabby,' like one word -- which never failed to bring them running for treats. I know Gabby will miss her terribly; I worry that my little frizzle will be too cold without Sally to huddle beside her.

I already miss my brave little girl. When the ground thaws enough, I plan to bury her alongside some of those who went before her. This year, I want to plant wildflowers over the graves.

RIP, my little warrior princess! What am I saying? You were a warrior Queen!

Back
Top Bottom