My girl has been injured. What can I do???

Mtngurl75

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2021
I recently noticed my chicken has been injured by something. I initially thought it was a bald spot caused by our puppy, since he has been caught pulling her feathers out before. We've had the puppy for 4 months now, and what I thought to be a bald spot is actually more severe upon closer investigation. I am not sure that the puppy did this anymore. Could a hot and this trying to pick her up and carry her away? Either way I am wondering what to do for her. She seems to be acting pretty normal. She has been eating, drinking, and walking around the yard doing what chickens do in a day. The other girls are not picking on her. She came over for snack time this morning and that is when I noticed it was not just a bald spot but a wound. I brought her inside and gave her a bath and washed the wound with antiseptic soap. It is like a flap of skin has been pulled back and exposed the tissue underneath. It seems like this may have happened 2 or 3 days ago, since nothing is bloody or oozing anything, and it wasn't there last weekend. She does not seem to be in pain. She has been hanging out with me inside since her bath. I don't know what to do about this flap of skin. I don't know if the yellow lumps are fatty tissue or infection. She's tapping on the window asking me to go back out. I'm not sure if I should let her back outside or keep her in until she has healed completely....

Attachments

• PXL_20210903_172039951.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210903_172039951.PORTRAIT.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20210903_173515879.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210903_173515879.PORTRAIT.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20210903_204648144.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210903_204648144.PORTRAIT.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 10
I have seen threads where dogs pull feathers from chickens so badly that the chicken had to be euthanized. I would definitely keep the puppy away from all chickens unless supervised.
As for the chicken, keeping it clean and free from flies is the best thing. Plain water rinses and neosporin would be a good thing to apply. You don't want it to dry out. You could also apply vetrycin. I've also read threads about using manuka honey on wounds as well. Just make sure she's isolated and kept comfortable until she is healed enough before returning her to the flock.

Thank you so much for the advice!! I have slathered the whole area with Neosporin. It is the only suggestion I have here at the house already. She is bug / fly free and thankfully I didn't see any before her bath either. I kept her in the house overnight and we will spend the day together in the sun room thru the weekend so I can keep a close eye on her. She can see her sisters outside and talk with them through the window. They are "singing songs" to each other right now. She had scrambled eggs and blueberries for breakfast. I think the only thing that could make her happier right now would be to be outside with her sisters.

As for the puppy, he is definitely back to monitored outside time. I thought he had learned the " N o Chickens" rule at this point, but maybe not...

Back
Top Bottom