My hen gets seizures I think

Apr 17, 2022
Denmark
I have a weird hen, i this she is very old.
I got her a year ago when she supposedly was 14 weeks old but she was laying eggs every day for 5 months and was laying when we got her.
That doesn’t add up, the seller lied to us and now we have a really old brain damaged hen.

I have noticed recently that if she gets spoked by the other hens that she will have kinda a seizure, she will usually fall on her back or side flapping her wings and looking around very confused. A lot of things can trigger it and sometimes she will lay for a good 10-20seconds but other times mabye only 5 seconds.

She is happy,healthy,still laying sometimes and nothing is wrong with her beside her “seizures” she gets, do I have to worry about her, and have anyone else experienced it with their old hens😊
IMG_9290.jpeg

Your hen might not be that old, but she looks like she is molting, by her ratty appearance and missing tail feathers. Molting is a time of stress, and it occurs around 18 months old and then every year thereafter. They stop laying eggs during a molt. Chickens do sometimes suffer from seizures, as do most animals. I would make sure that she is getting a balanced feed for chickens, and for a few weeks, try giving her vitamin E 400 IU daily with a little cooked egg. That can help with neurological problems. Hopefully, she will get over the seizures eventually when her molt is finished, but hard to know for sure.

Your hen might not be that old, but she looks like she is molting, by her ratty appearance and missing tail feathers. Molting is a time of stress, and it occurs around 18 months old and then every year thereafter. They stop laying eggs during a molt. Chickens do sometimes suffer from seizures, as do most animals. I would make sure that she is getting a balanced feed for chickens, and for a few weeks, try giving her vitamin E 400 IU daily with a little cooked egg. That can help with neurological problems. Hopefully, she will get over the seizures eventually when her molt is finished, but hard to know for sure.
Thank you for the answer, I have had her for a little over a year and she has always looked like a little ratty, she never really gets pretty but it’s okay, it’s her personality that counts. I will try and feed her some egg and e 400.

She does drink and eat without any problems, as long as it’s on the ground and not in a feeder. The only thing I have been a little worried about that I forgot to mention is that she can’t fly, she can’t fly up on the roost no matter how low it is and she always stays on the ground,is that normal?
thank you for the help😊

Back
Top Bottom