My Pheasants

TommyVT05

Songster
11 Years
Feb 6, 2008
Southern California
Hello Everyone,

I was so caught up with chickens since I joined this forum and didn't see this section to talk about other pets. This is such a fun forum to be at so I enjoy looking around when I have free time, like now, during the weekend. Hehe

Anyhow, I have Pheasants and Pigeons besides chickens. I have a pair of Red Golden and planning to get a pair of Silverbacks in a few months.

Does anybody have Pheasants here that I can ask a few questions? I searched around for Game Birds and Pheasants forums but most talks about hunting them, rather than raising them, so yeah.

I don't know when they should lay, how to make their nest box, what to feed during laying, and all.

Well, hope to hear from ya soon!
big_smile.png

- Tommy

I have a male yellow golden, and a female ringneck.
You can ask me but I dont know how knowledgeable I am in the pheasant area or such.
I know absoloutly nothing about pigeons though.

I dunno anything about pigeons either.
Pheasants my knowledge is limited but I do know that they will start to lay soon. They like to lay on the ground. They like a nice dark area. We throw in pine trees for ours to hide under and make "tents" for them ALL over the pens to lay in. They won't lay for long and if you don't take the hens' eggs to hatch under a broodie or in the bator, she might sit for you, but you won't get too many eggs for the season from her.

Stacy

Oh...I pen I have for them isn't really all that large but its not too small either. Anyhow, my dad put a box in their pen, a large one that the hen can sure fit inside for laying but not sure how welll that goes. I wonder what I need to feed her so she can lay good fertile/healthy eggs.

: )

Hope she lays soon too. I will keep ya updated

- Tommy

You can feed her gamebird breeder if you can find it. If not, go ahead and give her a bit of small bites cat food. Cheap stuff from a place like Walmart, non name brand is fine. Just about a quarter of a cup for one hen though a day, maybe a few times a week. That'll up the protein a lot. It's ok if the male shares it with her. He needs protein too. You can also add in boiled eggs if you have extras once in a while rather than the cat food.

Stacy

Thanks 4 the TIP

You have a nice website by the way
big_smile.png

- Tommy

How should I design the nesting box...I heard they lay best when very hidden, dark, etc...but won't they still have to lay when its time? Or are their system different than chickens and will lay when its right and could skip production for a year or two?

Just wondering

Back
Top Bottom