My Polish Is Broody Again!

LoveOfFeathers

Songster
Jun 29, 2023
Central N.C.
I was showing one of my friends my birds today and for sure thought my golden laced polish hen was dead in the nest box. PomPom’s head was pressed into the corner of the nest, she didn’t growl when I touched her and her tail feathers were just poking in an upward position in the corner. She looked like a pancake of feathers. I picked her up, set her outside the run door and she just sat there looking dazed and confused. I put her back in the nest. Tonight she was still there, sitting on about ten eggs but this time she growled at me when I picked her up. This is her third or fourth time going broody. Pompom is about five years old and grows more white feathers on her head every year. She is a good hen but overprotective is an understatement, she will flog starting at your hand and go all the way to your shoulder before she is satisfied with the punishment for making her baby scream. This time I will tape her feathers up and see if that helps with her attitude.

Attachments

• 69DEAA2B-A2A0-4AC6-BBBE-66A8F2B56016.jpeg
    69DEAA2B-A2A0-4AC6-BBBE-66A8F2B56016.jpeg
    665.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 7A2870A1-748E-458B-AAA0-96C5E0B428ED.jpeg
    7A2870A1-748E-458B-AAA0-96C5E0B428ED.jpeg
    523.1 KB · Views: 5
  • C406C9EA-E35C-4CC8-9445-487FED359F69.jpeg
    C406C9EA-E35C-4CC8-9445-487FED359F69.jpeg
    577.3 KB · Views: 5
I was showing one of my friends my birds today and for sure thought my golden laced polish hen was dead in the nest box. PomPom’s head was pressed into the corner of the nest, she didn’t growl when I touched her and her tail feathers were just poking in an upward position in the corner. She looked like a pancake of feathers. I picked her up, set her outside the run door and she just sat there looking dazed and confused. I put her back in the nest. Tonight she was still there, sitting on about ten eggs but this time she growled at me when I picked her up. This is her third or fourth time going broody. Pompom is about five years old and grows more white feathers on her head every year. She is a good hen but overprotective is an understatement, she will flog starting at your hand and go all the way to your shoulder before she is satisfied with the punishment for making her baby scream. This time I will tape her feathers up and see if that helps with her attitude.
What a feisty girl! She is so pretty! Hope her hatch goes well! :love 💚

Back
Top Bottom