Abcabc

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2024
I am sending in a test for MG but the symptoms are sneezing, light snot and sometimes bubbles in the eye. I’ve been treating with Tylan 50 or Tiaguard.

My dad also raises his chickens and they show the same symptoms but worse since he doesn’t care to treat it consistently or as needed. His coop is roughly 40 feet away from mine. I wasn’t practicing biosecurity as this was my first flock and I wasn’t aware he had sick chickens. However I don’t want to have sick chickens anymore and would like to start off on the right foot.

My question is: is it worth culling my flock and getting NPIP chicks that I will be vaccinating with MG-BAC and Zoetis’ coryza vaccine when he still has his diseased flock?

I will be keeping my flock in a coop and run 24.7 and boarding up the run 2-3 feet with wood/plastic. I also have plans to vaccinate for other diseases. I can also move my coop further away but will this help? I can also fence off my coop+run (backyard is roughly an acre).

Another question: I know that vaccinated birds that are carriers shed none to less and have a less chance of spreading to their offspring, but would it be safe enough to sell the chicks and eggs of my vaccinated flock? Also how would I know if my vaccinated flock became carriers?

Is this all just a bad idea and I should give up on having a disease free flock until his chickens are gone or I move out?

I’m just so stressed and upset that the chickens I raised are sick and I can’t do anything about it then let them or to cull them. I also would like baby chicks and having a breeding program but I don’t want to waste my breath if they’ll just get sick too since I want a breed that will cost a pretty penny.

If you have any answers or helpful advice on how to fortify my coop and run to avoid MG and other diseases, please let me know.

Usually if there are MG positive chickens or other poultry, the wild birds that come around can get it and spread it. I am no expert about MG, but I think that you should just close your flock or add your chickens to your dad’s flock and forget about having disease free birds, until you live somewhere else. Help him with birds and teach him, and enjoy the eggs. Treat a chicken who has an outbreak with symptoms, and cull a very sick bird. Medications and vaccines can be expensive, and I doubt if you can make money on that. Any time a neighbor’s birds have a disease, there is a good chance it will spread to your birds.

A lot of people seem to get into chickens and want to sell chicks or hatching eggs for money, and I think that is a shaky plan. To get more rare breeds, you usually have to get birds or hatching eggs from other people, and that is the way most people get MG or other illnesses.

After learning about so many possible illnesses that chickens get, I will only buy chicks from a reputable hatchery in the future. The best way to keep your birds healthy, is to get a flock of birds, keep them till all are gone, wait a few weeks, and get healthy new baby chicks. Keep a closed flock. Don’t ever buy birds or hatching eggs from other people. Many people are not honest or are ignorant about diseases in their flock. Once you get a disease that makes them carriers, consider every bird in the flock a carrier even if they have never had symptoms.

Last edited:
Usually if there are MG positive chickens or other poultry, the wild birds that come around can get it and spread it. I am no expert about MG, but I think that you should just close your flock or add your chickens to your dad’s flock and forget about having disease free birds, until you live somewhere else. Help him with birds and teach him, and enjoy the eggs. Treat a chicken who has an outbreak with symptoms, and cull a very sick bird. Medications and vaccines can be expensive, and I doubt if you can make money on that. Any time a neighbor’s birds have a disease, there is a good chance it will spread to your birds.

A lot of people seem to get into chickens and want to sell chicks or hatching eggs for money, and I think that is a shaky plan. To get more rare breeds, you usually have to get birds or hatching eggs from other people, and that is the way most people get MG or other illnesses.

After learning about so many possible illnesses that chickens get, I will only buy chicks from a reputable hatchery in the future. The best way to keep your birds healthy, is to get a flock of birds, keep them till all are gone, wait a few weeks, and get healthy new baby chicks. Keep a closed flock. Don’t ever buy birds or hatching eggs from other people. Many people are not honest or are ignorant about diseases in their flock. Once you get a disease that makes them carriers, consider every bird in the flock a carrier even if they have never had symptoms.
Thank you for replying. I want chicks because they make me happy and I want to be like the people who show their chickens in poultry shows. I guess that dream is dashed. I’ll wait until I can have my own place and barn farrrrr away from others. :(

Poultry shows is one the worst places to pick up diseases in my opinion, along with swap meets, public sales in feed store parking lots. I went to the Nationals once and witnessed people selling out of their cars. Then those people went inside and walked all around exposing other chickens.

I understand wanting chickens and caring for them. You still can now. Try to help your dad’s chickens and get them as healthy as possible. Vaccines aren’t the answer. Cull sick birds. If one has a mild case, treat it with Denagard or Tylosin. Give probiotics and a healthy diet. Keep the coop clean and have fresh air, no mold, no dust. Chickens are fairly easy to care for if they have good basic care and clean water and food. Get healthy chicks one day when you have your own place, and practice good biosecurity. Do not add birds to your flock and keep it closed. Don’t allow other chicken owners on your place unless they sanitize their shoes beforehand. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom