Mycoplasma

jayne17885

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2024
Hello

I believe one of my hens has mycoplasma- I have separated her on her own. She is eating well and drinking, seems fine. It’s the noise she makes and the bubbly eyes that made me notice

Do I cull? Or is there a point where she will get better but will always be a Carrier and can go back in with her flock?

Please advise 😊

She might have fowl pox, or MG, or something else. Separating her from the flock is too late for whatever she has to protect her flockmates, they are already exposed.
For an actual diagnosis, your state veterinary path lab will give you an answer, so you can move forward appropriately.
New additions to your flock? Visitors? Visited another flock yourself? Sick wild birds? All possible causes.
Mary

I’m pretty sure it’s mycoplasma

If it is- can she ever be put back in with the flock-ie will she get better even if she will always carry it?

If it's MG your flock is already infected, and will always carry it. Medication can alleviate symptoms, but not cure the infection.
Eliminating MG means killing all the birds, cleaning, waiting at least three (or more) weeks, and starting a new flock.
Mary

You don’t need to kill all of your birds, although some handle it this way, ending up sometimes with mycoplasma again brought in by wild birds and neighboring flocks. But the responsible thing to do is to close your flock for the life of all of your birds. It affects ducks, turkeys, quail, and other fowl. Treat symptoms if you wish, and Tylosin which does not require an egg withdrawal time given orally, can be used. If you want confirmation of MG, MS or whatever, get your state vet lab to do a necropsy if you lose a chicken. Sorry about your chicken. Here is a good place to find Tylosin:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

Since you caught her symptoms early, there is a glimmer of hope. One of my roosters I believe has MG but I didn't know that's what it was until it's too late. I recommend giving her Tiagard. I got it off Amazon. It's supposed to help with respiratory issues such as you have mentioned. I'll include a picture of the bottle. I'd even treat the rest of your flock with prevention doses. Here's the dosage if you end up going this route:
Treatment-
3 teaspoons per gallon of water

Prevention-
Half the treatment dose

So for your sick chicken, use the measurements for treatment since she's the one fighting something. For the rest of your flock, do the prevention.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230920-124152_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230920-124152_Chrome.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom