Mystery Feather Loss/Bald Spot

AnnPann

Songster
Jun 29, 2022
Kansas
Noticed a build up of feathers in my run, all from my 9 month old orpington (based on color). A few big ones, but mostly just the little fluffies. Checked her over this afternoon and found she has very thin feathers on her stomach/between her legs. Pretty much a bald strip down her belly. Compared her to my 4 y/o orpington, and I would have needed 3 hands to find my way through her dense feathers in the same area! I've noticed her preening, but not excessively, and I didn't find any evidence of mites or skin issues. The skin I could see looked fine - no marks, no scabs, no blood, not crusty ... just skin. It's in an area I could imagine only she's able to pull out feathers - not something another hen would be doing to her.

Her appetite seems fine, poop is normal. She stopped laying about 3 weeks ago (gradually, not suddenly- nothing unexpected). She has a bit of frost bite on her wattle from the cold snap a few weeks ago.

Two other recent changes - she's not nearly as vocal as she used to be. She used to start shouting at me as soon as she would hear me step outside. I assumed this change is her just getting older, but mentioning it b/c it's different for her. This week she also decided to sleep in a different place. She's always slept on the 2x6 roosting bar away from others, and this week she moved to the lip of the nesting box (which is a 2x2) that she shares with another hen.

Whole flock gets Kalmbach 20% Flock Maker Pellets, plus a handful of sunflower seeds or mealworms (to share between 14). I switched feed about a week ago from a starter crumble that was lower protein. Everyone seems happy about the new feed.

What else should I be on the lookout for issue-wise, if anything?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 4.22.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 4.22.24 PM.png
    738.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 4.23.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 4.23.30 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 4.23.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 4.23.17 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 9
Interesting. Is that likely when she’s not even laying right now? There’s not a single egg being laid by any of them for her to sit on.

I thought broody too, and maybe she was at first. Then she went ahead and had herself a full on molt. In January. At 9 months. Probably something in the feed though, right? 🙃

Back
Top Bottom