Mystery layer? My Black Copper Maran, who's a little mean--- wont lay in the nesting box

Julieugar

Chirping
Apr 11, 2023
Hello! I am looking for some advice. Having an issue with my 8 month BCM, concerning temperament and egg laying. I'm open to any advice, and happy to answer any questions that might help figure out what's going on with this girl, Her name is Trixie.

I have 5 hens. the first three are 1 year and lay very consistently (an EE, BO and SLW). Our younger two came to us in the fall at 9 weeks. One is a cream legbar she's Opal, and she started laying at 7 months. She is an egg MACHINE---lays almost 6 a week, very pretty little blue eggs. She just seemed to follow along to what her elders do and started laying like, no problem. Our last hen Trixie is a BCM and she is feisty, dare I say a little mean. She doesn't let anyone come near her, she pecks at all humans that come near her, let alone pick her up. As we wait patiently for her to lay, I start to wonder if she should even stay. After a bit of pecking to organize the group, they are integrated, and shes well in the group of 5 hens. But she is not nice at all to humans, and can be a little aggressive. So, anyway, last week, out of nowhere, she lays a beautiful brown egg on the concrete path to our neighbors house, completely out in the open. My husband found it, and it was cracked a little, but mostly intact. this egg came a little as a surprise because she has not exhibited any sort of indication that she's ready. She wont squat, hasn't been hanging out in the nesting box to "try" it out, as her predecessors have done. She does however make quite a lot of squawking. We think she may be laying eggs in mysterious places, but so far we haven't uncovered anything. We have a property which is 2 acres and there are countless places where she could be laying. But, for real, I want these eggs! We got a BCM for the nice brown eggs. I'm stumped. Not sure how to encourage her to want to be in the nest like the others. help and thanks!

Attachments

• Trixie.jpg
    Trixie.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 16
Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop/run for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom