Necropsy Report back from Dept of Ag

Newfowler1

Songster
Jul 8, 2019
Purcellville Virginia
I’m waiting on some reply from my vet on this report and wondering if someone here might be able to comment. My poor Nina had been actively treated for bumble foot and had been recovering but took a turn for the worse becoming Lethargic and unable to move on both feet, even to the point where she couldn’t balance with her wingtips. The day prior to visiting the vet I found her on her side unable to right herself.
I had made of appointments for two of two of my ducks, to address Nina’s urgency and Scuba Stevie’s ongoing inflammation into her ankle from the foot.

Scuba Stevie’s BackGround: Prior vet did in fact not give any antibiotics for the BF!! The medication I used where another unfamiliar med and she received 2 Sub Q shots 14 days apart. That did anger me as antibiotics most certainly were warranted.

Nina as discussed early on: Bumble foot treatment not as severe treated with beta oral antibiotics obtained online recommended from various online sources. Continued lameness required isolated environment close to food & water, daily cleaning of feet and soaking with Epsom salt extremely clean bedding provided.

Ultimately I failed this animal but we do what we can to learn and educate ourselves to be more observant and knowledgeable. The reason for the expense of necropsy after euthanasia. I want to be sure I’m doing everything right to prevent this from happening again and ensure the safety of the rest of my ducks.

i’ll grab a few snapshots of the report and post them up shortly.
thanks for sharing your knowledge and past experiences on the information from the report.

1624993170399.png

Miss Lydia
I agree certainly appears there were some anomalies and her reproductive tract. I have a feeling there may have been something wrong for a longer period of time and I was unaware of it. Also very possible The staff infection from bumble foot or the baytril antibiotics could have caused complications who knows.
My Doolittle Days are over. Still hoping to find a solid avain vet for ducks close by.
it’s frustrating!

Back
Top Bottom