Need advice. Incubator therm/hygro not here and the eggs are.

Lunah452

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
Pennsylvania
Edit: The last one I stuck in ice water has been ready a steady 32.7, if it continues for another hour, I'm going to going to go with it.

I've been working on the temp in my incubator the last few days. If the thermometer that comes with it is accurate I'm fairly consistant at 100. I had another temp/hygro for weather that was also in there that was reading the same. I thought I had another day to tweek it to 99.5. ( I have a Hova-Bator with a fan)

I purchased an incubator thermometer/hygro last week, it's wandering around Utah somewhere. I have another thermometer coming that was recommended by someone here from thermoworks I ordered that one late so I didn't expect it to get here in time. I figured I'd have at least day or so to calibrate and make sure my temps were accurate.

Well not so much, the thermometer is late and the eggs were early. LOL The eggs were shipped Monday and arrived this afternoon, from Tx to Pa, go figure. I guess I'm grateful it wasn't the other way around. The eggs are currently resting. So I have 24 hours to find something that will work to verify the temp and get it adjusted.

The weather thermometer, I tried to calibrate in ice water and it bounced between 32, 31 and I saw 30 once. I have another weather temp/humidity with a remote sensor that I currently have in ice water to see if it's accurate. It also read 100 in the incubator.

I found an aquarium thermometer at Petco that has a probe. Or possibly an ear or glass thermometer?

I also have another dilemma. These are Maran eggs. I candled one when I unpacked it because there didn't seem a lot of difference between either end, they both looked kinda pointy. I put it in the carton the way it came. I tried an egg candler and an 800 lumen flashlight, could see precisely nothing. I'm not sure I'll have any way to verify viability or if the air cell is the correct size. Should I purchase a digital kitchen scale to weigh? and if so when should they be weighed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I thought I had all my ducks in a row and apparently I was mistaken. And thank you in advance for the help. :)

Last edited:
For weighing, I weigh just before I put them in, at day 7 and 14. You can weight before lockdown but there's not much you can do to fix things at that point. 7 and 14 are enough to make sure you're on track. I weigh eggs individually in case I end up pulling any, but you likely won't with eggs so dark, you could weigh them all at once.

For weighing, I weigh just before I put them in, at day 7 and 14. You can weight before lockdown but there's not much you can do to fix things at that point. 7 and 14 are enough to make sure you're on track. I weigh eggs individually in case I end up pulling any, but you likely won't with eggs so dark, you could weigh them all at once.

TY :)

I'll get a scale tonight. Unless I can see some dark spot or some evidence of growth, I won't really have any idea what's going on. I guess I'll have to rely on the sniff test to see if there are any bad ones.

Back
Top Bottom