NEED ADVICE: Mama hen with 3 chicks. NY winter. Coop?

sashanellie

Songster
8 Years
Apr 19, 2015
Hi everyone! I've had chickens for years now and this group has always been so helpful! Recently a mama hen hid behind a garbage can in the coop and one morning we found 3 brand new chicks. I panicked due to the cold temps here and set up an indoor bin for mama and babies. But it's a mess in the house and mama gets wild and flaps shavings everywhere when I try to clean or change water or give food. It's not working. I'm planning on moving them back to the coop inside a dog crate with hay. Temps are in low 30s and sometimes high 20s. They're still yellow and fuzzy but they have their puffed up protective mama. Chicks are 10 days old.

Wondering what your thoughts are about transferring them back outside since they will be with mom.

Thank you all!
IMG_20231215_174007358.jpg

Last edited:
She can definitely keep them warm. I’ve had a mama take babies 2 days old outside w temps in the 40’s. Yours are already 10 days, they will feather up fast. I think you’re okay. Keep us updated!

She can definitely keep them warm. I’ve had a mama take babies 2 days old outside w temps in the 40’s. Yours are already 10 days, they will feather up fast. I think you’re okay. Keep us updated!
Thank you! I think it's hysterical that you are labeled an Enabler. LOL. ♥️

Hi everyone! I've had chickens for years now and this group has always been so helpful! Recently a mama hen hid behind a garbage can in the coop and one morning we found 3 brand new chicks. I panicked due to the cold temps here and set up an indoor bin for mama and babies. But it's a mess in the house and mama gets wild and flaps shavings everywhere when I try to clean or change water or give food. It's not working. I'm planning on moving them back to the coop inside a dog crate with hay. Temps are in low 30s and sometimes high 20s. They're still yellow and fuzzy but they have their puffed up protective mama. Chicks are 10 days old.

Wondering what your thoughts are about transferring them back outside since they will be with mom.

Thank you all!
View attachment 3711245
Mama hen will keep them warm while they are keeping her warm too! I had 3 hens, all bantam breeds hatch right after Christmas here in VA. The temps dropped into the teens and 20s and they were all fine. However I did lose 4 chicks due to two of my silkie moms fighting over nests. The chicks were either stepped on and pushed out Dead or were scared out of the nest and froze. Not sure. Bottom line is keep a close eye on them while it is cold.

Back
Top Bottom