need duckling help!!!!

Kristina

Songster
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
South Louisiana
OK So I have about 20 ducklings in the brooder. Well I had them on paper towels then hay...well they are about 2 weeks old now so I switched them to pine shavings just now....they seem to be eating them. What do I do? Will it hurt them? I know everyone uses pine shavings but I worry because the last time I used them on 5 week old chicks they all just dropped dead. Literally! What do I do I'm worried now!

Get them off the pine shavings.

Or if you MUST use them, put paper towels over them until they realize that their food is in a container, not on the floor.

What I use when I hatch ducklings is those puppy training pads. They absord the moisture that they splash all over better than the shavings. I buy the cheapest ones I can find and they work just fine.

Last edited:
Katy is right...........or you can put them in a brooder that has a wire bottom with a tray under it. You can then use cedar shavings(the ducklings can't get to them) which will help tp keep down any odors.

OK I covered up the shavings. I was to worried not to. Sooo I will go tommorrow and pick up puppy pads. I never even thought of that!

I got to where the pads were to expensive so I went to the drug department of WalMart and got the pads that they use in the hospital and they were cheaper and more of them. They worked as well too. Ducks can be more messy than chickens. They call them underpads I believe..or chucks. They can help you if you decide to use them. with me its more for my money.

Good idea chaty chick! I've brooded ducklings before.....in the spring....which it is NOT right now. LOL! I have 21 ducklings in the house adn I'm trying to make sure it doesn't smell. Hubby would lose it! He loves the animals but doesn't do well with smelly things so I'm trying my best to keep up with the mess they make. So far so good on smell but I'd just like them to actually stay cleaner. I have to go to wal mart today for polyvisol so I'll pick up some of the pads while I'm in the section. Thanks for the suggestions everyone I appreciate it!

Hi Kristina
smile.png

You are a good photographer. We want to see more pics!! We want to see the cute little ducklings.

Lisa
big_smile.png

HEy Lisa! I was just thinking about you a little while ago! I was looking on ebay this morning for more eggs I don't need LOL! Is that your auction? If so I'm watching it!
big_smile.png
I have some cute little duckling picture just didn't get to put them on here yet and hubby has the laptop with the high speed at work right now.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom