Need help/ ideas for a roof for my run/pen

Dwblake24

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 28, 2013
I have recently built a pen for my chickens that is 12ftx12ft. It is surrounded with 5ft high fence with 4x4post, that are buried 2 ft into the ground and standing 6 feet above it, not cemented. when i built it a few weeks ago i was so focused on keeping the dog out and them in I neglected to think of puting a roof on. well two things have changed this one, it poured the other day and i came to the realization that i need one. then two days ago a chicken flew to the top of my fence and jumped over, thank god we were outside and saw this happen cause our dog was too, and he just killed one last week on my own mistake. Anyways my question is this, what can i build for an affordable roof, but that will stand up NE winters with the snow, and i have a lot of wind going through my open yard and not a lot of money. I am open to any and all ideas. thank you!!
I have added a picture, sorry its the only one i have of my fence, which not was the intended target of this image but so you understand what im talking about

Last edited:
Thanks, I have thought about wire, or even lattice with a tarp attached under it, my problem is the wind that whips across my yard will sail it away. I trouble enough with my pool tarp.

This is how I did my roof not as big as yours 10x10 but the same idea would work for yours as well, I used suntuff corrugated roofing and 2x6's for rafters and a 4x4 to get some elevation, with a little persuasion the snow slides right off and keeps it dry.

That's going to be a little tricky without any pitch to the roof because its going to hold all the snow and with a 12 by 12 span that's going to be a lot of weight.

Anything tarp like you attach to the un-cemented 4x4's will eventually pitch them inward from the weight.

You also cant do a Gable or Hip style roof because your corners are not cemented and the weight again will pitch them out.

Hmm, you've got me thinking here......

The only way your going to get away cheap is to put a higher pole in the center to give your sides a pitch so water and snow roll off.

What about a PVC frame.

maybe like this

and tarp clamps to hold them, like these

I think in the end you are going to have to cement those corners in for this to work.

Here we usually calculate that a roof should withstand about 250kg of snow per square meter. 12x12 feet would be about 13 square meters, so about 3200 kg or 7000 lbs. That's one heck of a load for four uncemented poles to carry. Plus the weight of any roof structure, so I agree, you're going to need to go buy some concrete, or then make the roof super lightweight and steep so no snow stays on top of it.

You can use 2x6's with a support beam in the middle. 2x6's are rated for an 8' span without support, so you can't go the full distance without the support. I would use 14' 2x6's, and overhang them 1 foot on both ends. I built my 15x15 run with four 4x4 posts at the end supporting a 4x6 beam and another 4 posts and beam at the half way mark. The 2x6 rafters are supported by the 4x6 beam at the mid point and end. The roof itself is metal roofing in 3'x16' strips. The roof is pitched enough for rain drainage, but snow does accumulate, but with the span and # of posts, it has never been a problem, even when we got 24" of snow. Plus the wind coming from the north tends to blow most of it off.

Back
Top Bottom