Need help, my chicken is unwell! Lethargic, hunched over, pulsating vent, no appetite

GorgeChickenMama

Hatching
May 23, 2022
1) Name: Bluebell, Breed: Russian Orloff; Age: 1 year old, weight: chicken does not feel lighter or thinner than normal
2) Her behavior was normal yesterday, running around chasing bugs and grazing. I free-range my 4 chickens when I am home, so she was out yesterday for 6+ hours. I do not have a grass yard, I have dwarf clover yard. I thought this might be important when ruling out impacted crop.
3) Exhibiting these behaviors for at least 3 hours, but no more than 12 hours as she was well when she went to bed last night. I went to let the girls out of their hutch this morning, and Bluebell did not come out. I found her standing at the bottom of the cage, hunched over, tail down and head scrunched down. I took her out and she walked a couple steps, then went back to her hunched-over stance. She keeps closing her eyes. I brought her inside and she lets me hold her and falls asleep. When she is awake, she is keeping her mouth open and moving her tongue back and forth. She doesn't appear to be labored or panting. Bluebell is normally a wild girl, chases wild turkeys and stellar jays of our yard, so her allowing me to give her medical care and inspect her vent is very concerning.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma? No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation: nothing that I am aware of.... attempting to rule out impacted crop and/or egg-bound.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all: not today, yesterday she was free-ranging and had laying pellets available to her and of course water.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. All the poop in the hutch looks normal, but she is with 3 other girls so I do not know when she last pooped.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Her crop was tangerine size this morning, so I gave her 10ml of olive oil, massaged her crop. Gave her 10 mls of water, massaged her crop more. The consistency is soft, like dough. Some air came out of her throat and was very sour smelling. I also inspected her vent, she is pulsating her vent and keeps her tail down. The vent appears normal, and there are no mites or feces present. I checked inside her vent and can feel an egg forming in her vagina. I can not feel the egg shell directly, but I can feel the shape of the egg through the vaginal tissue. The cloaca feels normal. Her breed does not lay very often, every 2-3 days. It is hard to tell my chicken eggs apart, but my best guess is that she didn't lay yesterday. I gave her a warm bath around her vent, then dried her. Now I have her in a rubber tub, padded with towels, a heating pad under the towel, and lights out and quiet room to let her rest.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would like to treat her myself if possible. I am a registered RN in critical care and was a veterinary tech prior to being a nurse for about 10 years, so I feel comfortable with most home treatments. But I will definitely go to a vet if her crop needs to be opened surgically or if she is egg-bound and needs to go under anesthesia to have it removed. The nearest vet that cares for chickens is about 1 hour away from where I live.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use: 4 chicken moveable hutch, with 2 nesting boxes and a roosting bar. Automatic metal door on a timer, so the girls are locked up tight each night. I use pine-shavings as my bedding and change out about every 2 weeks or sooner if needed. Their cage is on dwarf clover yard and are free-ranged most days.

I'm sorry your hen is having problems. I would wager a guess that she has sour crop but I'm going to tag some folks who might be able to help you better.
@casportpony
@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock
Would one of you nice folks be able to help this new member with her sick hen?

BTW, welcome to BYC @GorgeChickenMama. Sorry a problem brought you to us but you came to the right place. Hopefully somebody will be able to help you out with Bluebell.

I invite you to stop in at the new members thread and introduce yourself when things settle down. We love to get to know new members.

Good luck with Bluebell. :hugs

Is she up to date on worm treatments?

A full crop in the morning is a definite sign that there is a problem. You said you managed to add water and get it to a soft consistency. Did the crop empty any after that or did she happen to eat again?

Any sour crop or impacted crop diagnosis may require more info on what you feed. My flock the problem is either worms or not enough water, so the aforementioned treatments work for me.

Welcome To BYC
I'm sorry to hear that Bluebell is not doing well.

I would suspect that she's having a problem expelling an egg. I would get some Calcium into her 1 whole tablet. Placing her on a warm heating pad may be helpful.
Do try to get some fluids into her, dehydration can make it worse.

The crop symptoms may be from her having trouble with an egg, but having a sour smell, I'd go ahead and start treating for sour crop as well. The article below is a good one to follow. I would still give her oil too, but it's best to give coconut oil and let her eat small chunks instead of syringing liquid oil which can be deadly if aspirated.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
1653360217736.png

I'm sorry your hen is having problems. I would wager a guess that she has sour crop but I'm going to tag some folks who might be able to help you better.
@casportpony
@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock

BTW, welcome to BYC @GorgeChickenMama. Sorry a problem brought you to us but you came to the right place. Hopefully somebody will be able to help you out with Bluebell.

I invite you to stop in at the new members thread and introduce yourself when things settle down. We love to get to know new members.

Thank you! That was my bet as well so I started treating her as so since
Welcome To BYC

I would suspect that she's having a problem expelling an egg. I would get some Calcium into her 1 whole tablet. Placing her on a warm heating pad may be helpful.

The crop symptoms may be from her having trouble with an egg, but having a sour smell, I'd go ahead and start treating for sour crop as well. The article below is a good one to follow. I would still give her oil too, but it's best to give coconut oil and let her eat small chunks instead of syringing liquid oil which can be deadly if aspirated.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
View attachment 3121117

@casportpony
@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock

Welcome To BYC

View attachment 3121117
Thank you so much! I suspected sour crop after watching a million YouTube videos on Monday, so started treating her as so right away. (Also treated her for egg-bound just in case). I haven't dealt with either of these issues before. I brought her in the house and have been giving her a ton of care. She got a warm bath, crumbled up TUMs for calcium, and started giving olive oil slowly twice a day, followed by crop massages. She laid an egg Monday evening and seemed a lot more comfortable but still off. She started belching sour smell and I could hear bubbling in her crop. Bingo! Fortunately, my sister in law is a vet (lives in a different state though) so I was able to get advice from her on treatment. I am currently giving her miconazole 2% orally 2ml twice a day, followed by crop massage. Didn't let her have food the first day, just water water water. Yesterday gave her water and plain Greek yogurt, and today scrambled eggs and yogurt. She is enjoying being a House Chicken, and this once wild girl now watches cartoons with the toddlers. Hoping I'm not missing anything and on the right track. Thank you again!

Glad you are getting top notch help!

I've only dealt with sour crop once and used docusate gel caps to help her empty her crop then followed up with the miconazole. Worked well but I was also dealing with Marek's disease so it was an ongoing treatment.

Always distressing when one of your flock gets sick. Hope she continues to improve.

Back
Top Bottom