need help with crop & digestive issues

Sep 20, 2017
Washington State
I've posted about our sick girl before, and subsequently posted an update, but it appears that starting a new thread is a more effective way to get help than reviving an old thread, so here goes:

Our RIR girl Nutmeg, about 4 years old, is having crop/digestive issues and won't eat. It all started with diarrhea that consisted of clear, yellowish liquid with opaque white/yellow and dark green bits. She also started hanging out more by herself and acting more subdued, and was no longer joining everyone in their rush for treats.

We started bringing her inside to give her some extra nutrition and at that point we noticed that she'd lost interest in regular chicken feed, but she'd still go for treats like hard-boiled or scrambled eggs, sardines, cooked pasta, and ground beef. We also had our state lab do a fecal float on our flock's poop (I made sure that some of Nutmeg's poop was included) and it came back negative for cocci and worms.

Eventually we noticed that Nutmeg's abdomen had become distended, and she was eating and drinking less and less. After about 10 phone calls, we found a vet about 40 miles away that is the only one in our area that will treat chickens, and took her a little over a week ago. By then, she was barely eating or drinking at all. The vet drained about 2 cups (!!!) of clear yellowish fluid from Nutmeg's abdomen and sent us home with a two-week supply of Baytril mixed with a nutrient solution and syringes for abdominal draining at home as needed. (She also said she'd send a sample of the fluid to the state lab for testing; we haven't heard back about this yet.)

The day after the vet visit, Nutmeg stopped eating completely. She also developed a terrible, nasty fermented smell from her mouth, and her crop became large and squishy and was still not emptying overnight, all of which of course means sour crop and possibly also impacted crop. I called the vet for advice and she didn't really have much to say besides to continue to try give Nutmeg food and water. The vet's assistant recommended apple cider vinegar and chick electrolytes in water, as well as holding a hand over Nutmeg's crop and kidneys for about 15 minutes several times a day, which she said can help get things moving in there. (Weirdly, she called this technique "processing.")

Here's where we are today:

Nutmeg won't eat on her own. I feed her small amounts of plain yogurt and fruit-and-quinoa baby food once or twice a day. She gets it down but it's really tiny amounts, about 2 cc per "meal," and she resists mightily. She is still on the Baytril/nutrient mix.

She drinks willingly out of the waterer in the coop, so I take her there once a day and she drinks her fill. (The rest of the time she is in the house or in a small outdoor pen where she can graze without being bothered by the other chickens.) I also force her to drink some water with poultry vitamins, electrolytes, apple cider vinegar, probiotics, and oregano oil by dipping her beak in it a couple times a day, but she doesn't like it and only drinks a very small amount.

Based on a video I watched online about sour crop, we started her on vaginal yeast infection cream, 1/2 cc by mouth twice a day. For some reason the video said to use the 7 day cream but to give it for only 3 days. Today is Day 3 and I'm thinking about continuing for the full 7 days.

The GOOD news is that Nutmeg is no longer accumulating fluid in her belly (in fact, she passes A LOT of fluid out of her rear end) and the fermented smell from her mouth is gone. However, her breath is still a bit off and her crop is still huge and squishy, and overfills easily; she will sometimes "burp" after swallowing food and water and some fluid will come up. There is less fluid coming out of her beak in the past couple of days but I can tell that it backs up into her mouth and then she swallows it again. And, she is very skinny and weak.

Based on all of this, what do you think is going on? If we were able to stop the fermentation, why is her crop still large, soft, and overflowing? Is there anything else we can do to promote normal digestion and help things pass? Should we consider doing crop surgery at home? We're scared to death of killing her by doing it wrong. Another possibility is that she simply won't make it through surgery, or won't be able to heal, due to how weak and malnourished she is.

Any advice/suggestions appreciated! We're willing to try almost anything at this point. Thank you!!!

You are certainly going the distance for this hen. You are doing every single thing I would do. However, I think you intuit that your hen is sick with an underlying issue that is not responding to treatment with the antibiotic. The sour crop, unfortunately, is often a symptom of this more serious illness than an isolated issue.

The fluid that the vet drained is also a symptom of a more serious illness, likely cancer. You can continue the sour crop treatment for a full seven days, which is the recommended duration, and see if she can kick it. She may rally and have another stretch of life ahead, but you also may need to consider euthanasia at some point.

I agree with @azygous that you have done everything you can do. Laying hens over the age of two are more prone to reproductive problems, like cancer or infection, which will present with symptoms like yours. Unfortunately it is not uncommon. The fluid build up is common in these cases, the liver may be failing or just unable to keep up with what is going on internally. It also often causes the digestive tract to slow down significantly, or stop, causing the crop issues. The draining of fluid can make them more comfortable for a time, but it doesn't fix the underlying problem. Often the definite cause is not known until a necropsy is done. In my birds, when they reach the point at which they are obviously not feeling well, uncomfortable, not doing normal chicken activities, not eating, I choose to not let them suffer. I'm sorry that the prognosis is not better, I know it is difficult. :hugs

Thanks folks! We will consider our options...

At the moment, I am waiting to hear back from a local holistic vet who does not normally treat chickens but has kindly offered to ask her more experienced colleagues for advice. Looking forward to hearing what she may be able to do for Nutmeg.

One cool thing that happened today is that Nutmeg caught and ate a worm! It was so exciting to see her eating on her own, and actually interested in something.

I've also started feeding her raw egg yolk through a syringe. Probably has higher nutritional value than the yogurt and baby food I'd been feeding up until now. Also syringe-feeding some of that "spiked" water with vitamins, probiotics, etc., as the only kind of water she will drink on her own is plain, with nothing added.

I do have another question: has anyone ever tried draining a chicken's crop with a syringe, similar to how the vet we saw last week drained her abdomen? Nutmeg has barely eaten for 10 days, and most of the food she's been eating, other than that one worm today and small amounts of grass occasionally, has been soft or liquid. Her crop feels like it is filled with fluid. I doubt that there are a lot of solids in there. Trying to drain that fluid could be something to ask the vet to do, or even to attempt ourselves.

Draining the crop with a needle syringe wouldn't be practical, but a vet might think otherwise. The crop is like our stomach - full of a soup of liquids and solids regardless of how it feels externally. I've tried draining a sick hen's crop fairly recently by catheter and syringe, and had no luck. In spite of her crop being full of sour liquid, it was still too thick to draw up and out.

Back
Top Bottom