Need Some Chicken Health Update Tips

charlotteda

Songster
15 Years
Dec 28, 2008
Pickens SC
My history with chickens dates back a few years - but I have admittedly been out of the "chicken loop" for the last 10-15 years. Just keeping a few backyard hens. Then, a fox attack left me with 1 lone 8 year old hen. She desperately needed a friend - at a time when the world has gone crazy and people are paying $50 for a BYM hen - if you could even find one.

Luckily (or not) a farmer friend has a friend who has a young pullet she would give me. Ok, thanks. When I picked up the bird I thought - something doesnt look exactly like I expected ... but I had not had any young chicks (or barred rocks) in years. Well, that pullet turned out to be a roo - with his big old yellow legs!

No, I didn't isolate because I only had one hen and not good way to do it. He looked healthy and alert - never saw a problem. But the hen search continued - I purchased 2 BCM hens from a breeder - healthy birds - isolated flock.

At this point, the cockerel has been here 3 weeks. I added the new hens - no problems. Took the cockerel out to a new home and changed the shavings (pine from tractor supply) in the coop. Two days later my old hen is very sick - gasping for breath (but hey she is old). I treated her with vetrx - trying to hold off on antibiotics if possible - electrolyte water and she slowly recovered.

Then one of the new hens came down with the same thing. She didn't not get quite as sick. Now the other black hen has it - with the addition that she continues to close one eye. But, she seems to be responding to treatment.

So after all that background, this is my question. I don't plan to have chickens coming in and out so I'm not going to cull the whole flock. No nasal discharge. Just some sneezing/coughing, rattled breathing and lethargy.

Without a doc visit - I know I may never know what exactly has happened. But, what chicken meds should I keep on hand. It seems to be getting harder and harder to get anything to use on the farm. I even need a prescription for my honeybees - seriously? My vet is not going to do that.

I'm willing to order some things and have a little chicken medicine kit but I'm not sure what is best. I did have a bit of terramycin eye ointment that I have been rubbing around the eye of the affected hen. I have experience giving farm animals injections but I am not comfortable with the idea of giving a chicken a shot! LOL

I think most people use teramycin ointment for eye infection/inflammation, and since you are already using that,? I see no reason to switch. If you only had honey available, raw honey is a natural antibiotic, and raw manuka honey is the most effective honey of all.

Back
Top Bottom