Need suggestions!!!

Anxiousavocado

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2023
Eaton, ohio
I'm a new chicken momma. I have 6 silkies chicks ranging between 2-4 weeks of age. First symptoms were sneezing with some clear nasal drainage. Second symptom I noticed yesterday was diarrhea. Today, I saw a very small amount of blood on one of their semi-solid droppings. I thought the worst so I ordered corid, but it won't be here until Friday!! The past 4 days I've been putting apple cider vinegar in their water to help with the sneezing and drainage. It did not seem to help at all. Other than the symptoms I've listed above they act normal. I'm not sure what else to do or what it could be. I don't want to jump to antibiotics if they don't need them but I'm also afraid to wait and see.
Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!

Did you get these silkies from another person or from a hatchery/feedstore? If you have a TSC or feed store near you, they sell Corid in the cattle medicines, and you could start it sooner. Sneezing could be from dust in the bedding or feed. If they are constantly sneezing, that might be a respiratory disease. Is there any mold, water and feed spills, or a lot of droppings in the bedding where an ammonia odor is noticed? Keeping the bedding as dry and clean as possible can help to prevent coccidiosis. I would stop the vinega. It isn’t necessary and may irritate the intestines. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water changed daily, for 5-7 days.

Did you get these silkies from another person or from a hatchery/feedstore? If you have a TSC or feed store near you, they sell Corid in the cattle medicines, and you could start it sooner. Sneezing could be from dust in the bedding or feed. If they are constantly sneezing, that might be a respiratory disease. Is there any mold, water and feed spills, or a lot of droppings in the bedding where an ammonia odor is noticed? Keeping the bedding as dry and clean as possible can help to prevent coccidiosis. I would stop the vinega. It isn’t necessary and may irritate the intestines. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water changed daily, for 5-7 days.
Thank you for responding! I got them from a breeder. I checked TSC but they are currently out of Corid.
They do sneeze frequently. I'm assuming by the amount of drainage it's more than just dust. They do shake their heads periodically and Open and close their mouths like their drinking something. I'm assuming it's the mucus. I'll stop the ACV.
I use paper bedding with wood pellets underneath to help reduce moisture. It doesn't have any mold or an ammonia odor(or any odor). It stays dry except around their water which I change multiple times a day.
Should I go ahead and treat for a respiratory infection or coccidiosis? Or both?

Back
Top Bottom