Nesting boxes- will it mess them up

GemW

Chirping
May 17, 2023
Nebraska
My hens have just started laying. I have a buff orpington who has had no issues with the boxes. Now, my Cochin, is a biiiiig girl and while we made our nesting boxes big she is having a bit of difficulty. I'm not exactly sure how high we made them (I'll measure when I get back out there), but I think they might be a little to high for her. So, I will either need to lower them or add a bar or ramp in front. I'm thinking about just taking the bottoms off the existing boxes and making a little bit of a larger base. That way it will be lower and I also did not build them with a lip and I am finding out that this is a must have. My BO has been laying really well for almost 2 weeks, 2 of my other girls just started yesterday. Will changing up the nesting boxes mess them up?

Also, can you show me what a bar in front of the nesting boxes looks like in your coop or your ramp? I feel like it will be in the way for the ones that don't need it and prefer to jump up and down.

When I installed my auto door I messed up the measurement somehow so it's a bit high...I went to the Harbor Freight and bought one of those small folding stool things, they hop up there and go in the door....it's plastic and very easy to clean when it gets dirty. Maybe that's an option instead of moving it down?

Also, can you show me what a bar in front of the nesting boxes looks like in your coop or your ramp?
More pics here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/

full

We put the nesting boxes right behind the perch. They went up to the perch then stepped over to the nests. The nests were accessed by us from the outside.

When I installed my auto door I messed up the measurement somehow so it's a bit high...I went to the Harbor Freight and bought one of those small folding stool things, they hop up there and go in the door....it's plastic and very easy to clean when it gets dirty. Maybe that's an option instead of moving it down?
That's a good idea!

Back
Top Bottom