New Chainsaw issues

yeah @sailtexas186548

I know all about Stihls reputations for awesomeness. Been planning to purchase one for over two years. Dealer upsold my wife for our anniversary. Wanted just a nice farm boss. 50CC and a 18-20" bar. He upsold her to the 60
(59cc). Its cool, more power... actually got to use the bumpspikes for more than preventing a piece of limb from rolling...

I am not implying that Stihl sucks.

Im just saying I have issues with mine. and at first 95% certain it was something I was doing wrong.

Now.. im 40% i think it is still something I did. Probably a QC issues is all. Wife said this unit came right off the shelf. Maybe someone was playing with it, dropped it put a little bend in the bar that isn't noticeable...

I cant wait til i get this unit right. I have 5 more 30" pines I want to take down before they get dangerous. And then will start harvesting the cedar :)

And even though this isnt cutting right. Man... the few cuts I got that were.. feelling that saw pull itself down through the wood. Whoo whee.

Well, things change. Some of the low cost stihls are junk as well as Husqvarna's. They sold out to selling to home owners who don't use them everyday. Two of my best friends have tree services . One on the Mississippi coast and one on the Oregon coast. I have worked a little with both. Having a good commercial saw is great but you have to know how to use it. It was smoking because the chain was to tight. Or that is about the only thing that does that smoking of the bar if it had oil. The chain should pull away from the bar half to a quarter inch.
I have ran a saw low on bar oil. It gets hot but if the chain to tight will smoke the oil thats getting on the bar. No oil, not much smoke at all.
Not many people can sharpen a chain properly even with the right size file. The little saw you see them cutting with one hand "bucking" pieces off with ease , thats an O20 stihl and sells for about $765-$800. If you buy a chain saw for less than $450 you got junk. You can buy a new carburetor cheaper than the cost of a rebuild kit. $40-$60. I have a commercial 350c Husqvarna. Ten years old and runs like new. My friend has 9 stihl chainsaws of different sizes as well as stihl weedeaters, hedge trimmer, blowers and three pole saws.
I have serviced, used and sharped all of them at some time over the last 20 year. Along with the bobcats, chipper, bucket truck, dump truck, dump trailer ....
Running a chainsaw is not easy to do and that is the biggest problem. Run a chainsaw wrong and it doesn't run long.

They depend on where you buy them. If you go to a local dealer and buy one you get a quality saw. If you buy form Lowes, Home Depot or other you are buying a MTD clone with their name they get a cut for.

To be honest, I have a cheap poland pro as a backup and it will cut pine fine. I use my Rancher 450 for firewood and most stuff. Even a cheap chain saw should cut wood. If the blades get hot they wear quicker. Being dull heats them up a lot. wears the blade and bar out faster and loads the motor more than it should be.

Learn to sharpen the blades and buy non-ethanol gas!!

They depend on where you buy them. If you go to a local dealer and buy one you get a quality saw. If you buy form Lowes, Home Depot or other you are buying a MTD clone with their name they get a cut for.

To be honest, I have a cheap poland pro as a backup and it will cut pine fine. I use my Rancher 450 for firewood and most stuff. Even a cheap chain saw should cut wood. If the blades get hot they wear quicker. Being dull heats them up a lot. wears the blade and bar out faster and loads the motor more than it should be.

Learn to sharpen the blades and buy non-ethanol gas!!
Definately on the non ethanol gas. Every saw we've ever had we mixed gas ourselves but never again. We now only buy premixed with our Husqvarna Rancher and it runs consistently well. We live on a very wooded lot and a WORKING chainsaw was a must. My fiancee kept refusing to buy a new one but it took him 4 hours to fell a tree because it kept shutting off. Not only is that inefficient but it's also unsafe. We can now fell a 80ft tree in 1 hour (pulling it down for safety) and clean it up in an hour. A good saw is a god send. We had considered going with Stihl when we were shopping for one but decided on Husqvarna due to cost. Hopefully your issue gets resolved by the dealer.

Back
Top Bottom