New Chicken showed no symptoms on pickup, now is sneezing and coughing

CryptidCleric

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2024
County Durham, UK
Hey guys, I’ve just purchased a Golden Laced Orpington from a breeder and brought her home. At the breeder’s home, and in the car on the way back she was in good spirits, chirping away, but upon putting her in quarantine she has developed a sneeze and has a gentle rattling sound to her breathing. Her poop is fine and as expected, she hasn’t drank anything as of yet (though a new environment with new people, I’m not surprised) but has eaten some layer pellets and has been up and about. I’m not sure what is causing her to be so congested all of a sudden, and I’m planning to consult a vet just to make sure everything is okay and there’s nothing to worry about (or to get her treatment if she needs it) but I’m just seeking some advice from anyone who’s had this experience before.

Her bedding is EasiChick (may be a UK only brand), FarmGate layer pellets. She’s 5 months old, and is POL. As I said before, no issues until she settled into the quarantine, I’m planning to remove the bedding in case that’s the issue and give her a substitute, as it may be this which is irritating her sinuses, but any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

Sneezing can occur from any nasal irritation, including when eating. Could you have accidentally squeezed her crop when picking her up to transport her? I would keep her quarantined for 30 days, and watch for nasal drainage, bubbles or foam in one eye, swelling around an eyelid, or gasping. Feel of her crop to make sure that it is empty by morning.

Update: Her crop was fine in the morning and she’s eating and drinking and being a chicken as normal. Still sneezy, but no gaping or anything too worrying. I’ve contacted my local vets and she has an appointment on Saturday to check if they want to give her any antibiotics and whatnot. The vet confirmed that it’s likely just the stress of moving that’s caused this to come on, and has told me to keep doing what I’m doing till they see her. She’s got 24hr care at the moment as my partner is at home watching her, so fingers crossed 🤞

Funny a new chicken that went through quarantine I added to my flock has now developed a low rattle, I'm thinking URI now she most likely infected the flock of pullets she came with a friend who isn't making the noise now I hear that rattle from a other of my pullets so annoying, I ordered the powder antibiotics I'm gonna add to the water ... Till then Ive been watering them with flock fuel one day and changing water and adding ACV the next as I hear the ACV helps break up mucus. Any word from the vet or how ur girl is doing. Hopefully better than mine. Looks like I'm gonna have a closed flock. I e good thing is they are on verge of laying hopefully I get the meds in time so I don't have to throw out any eggs.

Funny a new chicken that went through quarantine I added to my flock has now developed a low rattle, I'm thinking URI now she most likely infected the flock of pullets she came with a friend who isn't making the noise now I hear that rattle from a other of my pullets so annoying, I ordered the powder antibiotics I'm gonna add to the water ... Till then Ive been watering them with flock fuel one day and changing water and adding ACV the next as I hear the ACV helps break up mucus. Any word from the vet or how ur girl is doing. Hopefully better than mine. Looks like I'm gonna have a closed flock. I e good thing is they are on verge of laying hopefully I get the meds in time so I don't have to throw out any eggs.
I ended up taking her to the vet, and she has mycoplasma. The vet gave her some meds, she picked up dramatically, but I’ve had to close my flock now unfortunately. She’s much more spritely now though ☺️

Back
Top Bottom