New Chicks

drink88

Chirping
Feb 28, 2023
Southeast Texas
We have a coop that we have closed off one side, to allow two hens to hatch their eggs, that way they are left alone.

Well, they hatched, and now 2 mama birds and roughly 9 chicks (hard to count, mama's are being territorial). My question is this...

Do we need to get baby chick feed for them, and how do we feed them starter feed when mama's also have their layer feed in there with them? Probably just put the feed for the hens a little higher, and leave the start feed on the floor? Also, how long do we need to keep all of them separate from the rest of the flock? They can't go outside right now, as I want the mama's and chicks to bond and do all that. But at what point do I let the mama's out, and or the chicks out too?

Broody hens will move Layer feed down where the chicks can get it. By the time they are two weeks old my chicks are flying up to the feeders the hens use. I feed all my chickens a non-layer feed that is low calcium and offer oyster shell on the side. All the chickens eat some oyster shell but only the laying hens that need it for their egg shells eat much. They all need calcium for body function and maintenance so don't be surprised if the chicks, broody, and roosters eat a few bites.

I start off with an 18% protein chick Starter for everyone when the chicks are four weeks old or less, then switch to a 16% protein Grower after that. Others consider a higher protein level essential at all times, usually 18% or 20%. I put some feed and water on the floor where the chicks can get to it.

I let my broody hens raise the chicks with the flock from hatch. Others keep them isolated from the flock anywhere for a couple of days to possibly weeks or months. I want my broody hens to handle integration for me and let them get started on that as soon as possible.

I consider how much room you have as important. Mama needs room to work with to be successful. If your space is so tight she cannot keep the chicks separated from the rest then you can have serious issues.

Broody hens will move Layer feed down where the chicks can get it. By the time they are two weeks old my chicks are flying up to the feeders the hens use. I feed all my chickens a non-layer feed that is low calcium and offer oyster shell on the side. All the chickens eat some oyster shell but only the laying hens that need it for their egg shells eat much. They all need calcium for body function and maintenance so don't be surprised if the chicks, broody, and roosters eat a few bites.

I start off with an 18% protein chick Starter for everyone when the chicks are four weeks old or less, then switch to a 16% protein Grower after that. Others consider a higher protein level essential at all times, usually 18% or 20%. I put some feed and water on the floor where the chicks can get to it.

I let my broody hens raise the chicks with the flock from hatch. Others keep them isolated from the flock anywhere for a couple of days to possibly weeks or months. I want my broody hens to handle integration for me and let them get started on that as soon as possible.

I consider how much room you have as important. Mama needs room to work with to be successful. If your space is so tight she cannot keep the chicks separated from the rest then you can have serious issues.
Thank you for all that information. I have 8 new chicks...I had 9, but one morning I went out and there was one missing. There was also one that somehow got out, and I rounded him up...so my assumption is that two got out, and one didn't make it. I do have stray cats around, so thinking one of them must have gotten to it. I've tried to fortress up my backyard as good as I can, but cats still find a way to climb over something, or under, or whatever. So my fear is that if I let the chicks out and back with the flock, one of the cats might get in and see the vulnerable little ones and attack it before mama can do anything about it. But I really want to let them be with the others...I've noticed when I open the side of the coop that the two hens are in with their babies, they want to get out and explore and get sunlight, etc. But I won't let them, because I want them taking care of and teaching the babies. So...maybe I should try it out, opening up the one side of the coop to be able to access the other side, where the automatic door is so they all can come and go. If I feel like it's unsafe or I see cats in there, hopefully I can prevent something from happening before it does, but make adjustments as necessary.

What do you think? Risky?

You are the one looking at them, I'm not. Your risk tolerance is different from mine. I can't make that decision for you.

I've had a pet cat and there are a few feral cats around. I've never had a problem with cats and chicks. Some people do, the risk from cats is certainly not zero.

I've had more problems with snakes. I had a snake get into a brooder in the coop that ate a chick. The snake could not get back out so I took care of it. Over the years I've lost a handful of young chicks to snakes when they were out with a broody, maybe one every three or four years on average. That's not enough for me to keep the chicks and broody hens locked up.

Back
Top Bottom