New Dove Owner!

Fritzen

Chirping
Mar 7, 2021
Florida
Hi there! I've recently come into ownership with two ringneck doves, one wild type and one bulleyed white, I believe!

I've always wanted doves, so this is a dream come true. They were surrendered to my friend's workplace, and he asked me if I could take them in.

Does anyone have any tips on bonding and socializing with them? I've had them for a few days, and they're very healthy and calm, but seem a bit shy. I've been working with them daily, and managed to have them both perch on me while walking around outside of their cage.
Are there any nice treats I should give them as well?

Thank you all! :D

Hi there! I've recently come into ownership with two ringneck doves, one wild type and one bulleyed white, I believe!

I've always wanted doves, so this is a dream come true. They were surrendered to my friend's workplace, and he asked me if I could take them in.

Does anyone have any tips on bonding and socializing with them? I've had them for a few days, and they're very healthy and calm, but seem a bit shy. I've been working with them daily, and managed to have them both perch on me while walking around outside of their cage.
Are there any nice treats I should give them as well?

Thank you all! :D
I've never had doves, but I can give you some tips for friending the birds :rolleyes:! 1) Socialize with them. They will become accustomed to you and even want to hang out with you once they realize there is no possible threat coming from you. 2) Hand-feed them their (few, not too many!) treats. They will realize that you are their 'treat lady' and want to be around you more just in case there is an occasional treat handout ;). Good luck with your doves :)!

0D8F6ED9-B679-431E-A07B-F978C156E1DB.jpeg
They’re both settled in their new aviary (which is almost as tall as me!! I’m 5’1”!) and happy as can be! I’ve even heard Reuben (left) laughing as he hops from perch to perch!

Lucy (right) actually laid an egg in her old home, so I’m preparing to deal with that as well… I have a nest and flat perches on the way for them!

Back
Top Bottom