New ducks versus older ducks

darharris

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2023
Ohio
I have 8 Cuyuga ducks and I want to add a few more. Will the ducks get picked on if they are only half the size as the older ducks when fully grown?
Also I have a large pen for my chickens and another one connected for my ducks, can the pens be connected and open to one another? Or will they pick on each other? And how do you handle the different foods for the ducks and the chickens? I guess is it safe if the chickens eat the nutritional yeast as well?

in my experience of adding new ducks, the old ones are afraid of the youngsters .
do you have any drakes? if you have any drakes in your older flock then do not put the little ducks with them until they are 5 months old.
Also again if you have any drakes you should not let them have access to your chicken hens. injuries and deaths may result.

an all-flock or flockraiser type feed is safe for both ducks and chickens. do not give layer feed if you have any male birds chicken or duck. the extra calcium is bad for them. Instead, always have a bowl of either crushed or flaked oyster shells next to the food.. the ladies will take what they need and the boys wont eat it.
and no , the extra b vitamins wont hurt chickens

in my experience of adding new ducks, the old ones are afraid of the youngsters .
do you have any drakes? if you have any drakes in your older flock then do not put the little ducks with them until they are 5 months old.
Also again if you have any drakes you should not let them have access to your chicken hens. injuries and deaths may result.

an all-flock or flockraiser type feed is safe for both ducks and chickens. do not give layer feed if you have any male birds chicken or duck. the extra calcium is bad for them. Instead, always have a bowl of either crushed or flaked oyster shells next to the food.. the ladies will take what they need and the boys wont eat it.
and no , the extra b vitamins wont hurt chickens
Thank you so much! I'm not sure about male vs female yet so I'll be safe and keep them apart.

By the way may I add, It is good, at any age, to let new ducks and old ducks see each other through a fence for a week or so , to get used to each other, before letting them together. and then supervise. there will be some scuffles but they have to sort out who will be the boss and so on (pecking order)

All depends on the birds
My flock I can add new ones and have little to no issues
I have ages 2 years old to 5 weeks old together and it’s fine
My 3.5 month olds are fully out with my older flock all day and have been since 5-6 weeks old and at night I separate certain ones just so my older boys don’t fight at bed when there is nowhere to run
By 11 weeks you should know the sex by voice
My Youngest ones at 5 weeks I know are 2 girls
I do find my 3.5 month olds are the only ones that try to chase my younger ones if they get to close
My adults don’t bother

It is a good idea as the other one said to keep a see no touch for a little bit so they get use to each other before putting them together
I do that as well

They are 11 weeks old
oh there are just little themselves! i assumed they were older lol then you won't have to wait until the new girls are five months old because your 11 week old aren't sexually active yet anyway even if they are drakes you can tell by the voice like duck mommy said if they quack loud and clear they are girls. The boys have a raspy quieter voice, and they usually grow a curly tail feather. The recommended ratio for drakes to duck hens is 1 to 5.

Back
Top Bottom