New roo

Donette

Chirping
Sep 9, 2023
I have some Brahma pullets that are right at 10 weeks (6 of them). I had thought there would be a rooster in there but all the forums I’ve posted their pictures to agree these are all girls. I am getting a 6 month old Brahma roo this weekend and am wondering how to integrate him safely. I have a secure coop and very small run. I live on 35 acres and the girls free range all day and go into the coop at dusk, where I close everyone in for the night. I don’t have a separate dwelling or shelter to keep the roo in initially. Won’t be able to quarantine him and I understand this is a risk, but that part is unlikely to change and I’m wanting to get the rooster now to accompany them for help keeping them safe while outside the coop/run. Any tips in integrating this rooster?

How small is the coop and run?

He will need to be confined a few weeks so he "homes" to the coop and run or he is likely to become lost and never make it back.

He is of breeding age and they are not. Being 6 months old his hormones will be running extra high.

Personally I would hold off adding a male until the females are closer to a year old. Then I would add a younger than them male....or no male as a lead hen will take the lead in alerting to danger.

Integration takes extra space. Can you build it bigger or make a second space next to the current one?

Last edited:
I have some Brahma pullets that are right at 10 weeks (6 of them). I had thought there would be a rooster in there but all the forums I’ve posted their pictures to agree these are all girls. I am getting a 6 month old Brahma roo this weekend and am wondering how to integrate him safely. I have a secure coop and very small run. I live on 35 acres and the girls free range all day and go into the coop at dusk, where I close everyone in for the night. I don’t have a separate dwelling or shelter to keep the roo in initially. Won’t be able to quarantine him and I understand this is a risk, but that part is unlikely to change and I’m wanting to get the rooster now to accompany them for help keeping them safe while outside the coop/run. Any tips in integrating this rooster?
I wouldn't add an older Roo til they are full grown. If he jumps on them it could hurt them because they are so much younger and smaller.

I had someone drop off a Roo once without my knowledge and he integrated fine...he was a bit picked on at first but not long. I would keep him confined for awhile so he doesn't get lost.

In a pinch, I use a large dog crate to temporarily house a sick chicken or one that is in quarantine. Not warm enough or secure enough outside from predators so use in a secure place in a barn or house.

If possible wait to get him.

Oh my. I don’t have the ability to do that. I was told that Brahmas instinctively know when the girls are ready and won’t harass them too much before they are ready. I also just assumed the rooster would want to follow along wherever the girls go, so it didn’t occur to me he could get lost. So basically, what you are saying is since I can’t isolate him initially there is really no way to get a rooster? My tractor coop is 4x6 and my run isn’t much bigger, bc they only really go in the coop to sleep and their feed and water is in the run.

Attachments

• A82603A8-76BA-4DE4-9070-85D76FCF2AC5.jpeg
    A82603A8-76BA-4DE4-9070-85D76FCF2AC5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 562EF0F8-E435-4677-8E52-9E558BDE20E0.jpeg
    562EF0F8-E435-4677-8E52-9E558BDE20E0.jpeg
    804.3 KB · Views: 7
Oh my. I don’t have the ability to do that. I was told that Brahmas instinctively know when the girls are ready and won’t harass them too much before they are ready. I also just assumed the rooster would want to follow along wherever the girls go, so it didn’t occur to me he could get lost. So basically, what you are saying is since I can’t isolate him initially there is really no way to get a rooster? My tractor coop is 4x6 and my run isn’t much bigger, bc they only really go in the coop to sleep and their feed and water is in the run.
I love Brahmas! Could you find a Roo that is closer in age to the pullets? Then I would go for it. Or wait until they are grown and go for it.

Another thing to consider is Brahma are large.
The coop is currently sized for 4 to 6 maximum. Integrating a new bird takes additional space regardless of the breed or gender. Be ready to separate if you do get the rooster. That means perhaps making an additional pen and coop. It is better to be prepared than to have to do it in a rush because things went South.

I would wait. There will be other roosters. Roosters are easy to come by. But a 6 month old rooster put with chicks, all by himself - pretty much a recipe for a wreck. You really can't over crowd them, add a just coming into his own rooster to immature pullets.

You don't say where you are, but if in the northern hemisphere, even if they are going in just to sleep - this time of year, mine are roosting at 4:30, and soon even earlier, and not coming off til a bit after 7:00. That is a long time for chickens to be too crowded.

Don't take this rooster, wait for spring, by then, the pullets will be laying. They will be ready for a rooster.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom