New to chickens and have predator problem

I know that a cat can get over any fence, but I’m just wondering how it can get a full grown hen over a fence too? I don’t have any real gaps in the bottom of the fence.

also I’m going to get a black hen to add to the flock, thanks for the tips!
I have my doubts a cat took a full grown hen over a fence, you should have some type roof or top for your run.

We tried free-ranging at first, with them shut in the coop at night, but had terrible luck with predators, even with a rooster to protect the flock. We had two hens and a rooster all airlifted by hawks at different times, once in broad daylight when we were standing right there. Another time, a weasel got into the coop, it only got one hen before we chased it off, but it caused a bloody crime scene. Another time a dog got away from the people who were walking it, and it killed one of our hens who was raising chicks, before the owners could catch it.
The other problem with free-ranging, was the flock enjoyed coming on our porch and pooping all over.
Finally, we gave up on free-ranging and built them a big, predator-proof run. It's 6-foot tall, covered completely with chicken-wire on all sides and the roof, plus a hardware cloth apron that extends 18" out from the bottom and 2'6" up the sides, then above that is welded wire to the top. Having the hardware cloth and welded wire layered on the outside of the chicken wire means that raccoons can't reach in and grab them, since raccoons are able to make holes in chicken wire by pulling it apart, but they can't get the leverage to do this through the welded wire.
Ideally, a run made out of all hardware cloth would be the safest, but ours is so big it would have been too expensive. Both welded wire and chicken wire are relatively cheap where we live, so combining the two for the majority, with hardware cloth to keep out digging predators lower down, was more financially feasible.
Since building this three years ago, we have never lost another chicken to any predator, even though we have coyotes and owls, as well as hawks, raccoons, weasels, dogs and cats. Free-ranging is great if you live in the right area to do that, but our flock is perfectly happy in their big run. They're not crowded, and have plenty to do and opportunities to forage - several different water sources, different-sized logs (some with bugs they can peck apart) we toss in scraps from the garden, grass clippings, tree branches. Perches at various heights, dust-bath areas, an oyster-shell feeder, some covered areas for shade and some sunny areas. They are not bored - and they are safe.
Free-ranging seems more natural, but how happy are they really, if they constantly have to be on the lookout for predators and don't feel safe?

Back
Top Bottom