New Zealand rabbit colors

Bhilg

Hatching
Aug 24, 2021
Anyone here an expert in rabbit genetics? I have a purebred New Zealand blue doe that just had a litter and one kit looks to be an otter. How is this possible? Dad is a REW. I have pedigrees for both the doe and buck. This is the does third litter and she has previously produced REW, blacks and usually one gold tip steel. Any thoughts?

Odds are there is something not NZ in a background somewhere.

Also mixing colors tend to produce other colors. That's why NZ breeders tend to only pair colors to each other and not mix them

Anyone here an expert in rabbit genetics? I have a purebred New Zealand blue doe that just had a litter and one kit looks to be an otter. How is this possible? Dad is a REW. I have pedigrees for both the doe and buck. This is the does third litter and she has previously produced REW, blacks and usually one gold tip steel. Any thoughts?
The REW carries otter, white rabbits are still a colour under the white so yours might be a black otter

Thanks for the help. I have not been breeding new Zealands for very long. I used to raise Holland lops and mixing colors was never an issue. Now that I’m getting these unrecognized colors of New Zealand’s I will have to focus on breeding my white to white, black to black, etc. I don’t want a bunch of rabbits I can’t do anything with. Although these guys are for meat so they will still be okay for that.

Thanks for the help. I have not been breeding new Zealands for very long. I used to raise Holland lops and mixing colors was never an issue. Now that I’m getting these unrecognized colors of New Zealand’s I will have to focus on breeding my white to white, black to black, etc. I don’t want a bunch of rabbits I can’t do anything with. Although these guys are for meat so they will still be okay for that.
Mixed colors are still fine for meat, pelts and pets. You just won't really get breeders interested since they're not recognized colors

Back
Top Bottom