Not an emergency. Parrot beak and broken toe?

Shugercube

Songster
Apr 17, 2022
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Hi! So, I recently got 2 chicks, and one came to me with what I think is parrot beak, and a badly broken toe (the tip was almost at a 90-degree angle!). It seemed to have already mostly healed at that time, with a bit of an old blood blister at the joint that had already blackened. But At one point the wound reopened, I’m not sure if she caught it on something, or the other pecked at it (they’re in quarantine together). But poor thing got blood all over both of them! I put plain triple antibiotic ointment on it, along with a small bandaid, and then did my best to splint it back into position to help it heal better. She hasn’t appeared to favor it at all the whole time I’ve had her (just over a week now), and it doesn’t seem to cause her any pain. But I wasn’t sure if there was anything else I should be doing for that.

But this beak. I’m pretty sure it’s parrot beak. It doesn’t seem to affect her ability to eat, and she seems to be gaining weight and growing just fine. But it still concerns me. Do I need to file it down?? She’s not a huge fan of being handled, and still hasn’t warmed up to me yet. So if I don’t HAVE to do anything yet, it’s probably better I don’t needlessly traumatize her any further lol. Is there something I should do for her? Put a brick or something in the cage so she can grind it on something herself? What’s best?

Here she is, obviously the one on the right lol. Sorry for the weird angle. It makes her look like a little eagle or something lol. I thought if I had her in the cleaning bin it’d be easier to get her to hold still. That didn’t work out too well haha.
24E94146-F7CE-4CC8-9FD4-139F43DAB78A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom