Not sure if this is Infectious Bronchitis or something else??? Please Advise :-)

Brenda Jones

Songster
Sep 9, 2020
Upper Eastern Peninsula of Michigan
Hi all,

I'm not sure if it is Infectious bronchitis in my girl, as neither of my girls have had any indications of illness (sneezing, coughing, lethargy, droopy combs, etc.,) I have dealt with the oddly wrinkled egg off and on since they started laying. They are now going on 3 years old (in July) and one of my girls has not laid anything since November (they went into a molt in October/November). The girl in question today has been my very consistent layer since she was 17 weeks old (near daily laying even through the winter). She began laying again after her winter break this year (in January). Since then she has had several soft shelled eggs (I gave her Calcium citrate +D for a few days) then she would go several days without laying and then a normal egg and then the cycle would repeat... her poop has been kind of "slimey" (pic) off and on. And yesterday she left a long blob of gelatinous stuff (that looked like it may have just been an albumin filled membrane (sorry didn't get a pic). I have not noted any worms or parasites in their poop ever.

but last fall she did have a soft shelled egg that apparently broke inside her as I found her with just the shell/membrane portion hanging out of her vent. I immediately started her on some herbal decoctions to treat/prevent infection and inflammation, cleaned her up and she seemed to be fine afterwards. Anyway, long story short, I just want to make sure my girl is okay. Her sister is doing fine (other than not laying since November) They are both running around, eating, drinking, scratching and playing as usual. Please advise if this is something I should be concerned about or if this is within normal aging processes. Thank you in advance.
IMG_1425.JPG IMG_1445.JPG IMG_1446.JPG IMG_1447.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG IMG_1451.JPG

You recieved good suggestions on the other thread you posted to.

Photos of the wrinkly egg(s)?

I would agree with @Eggcessive that she's likely beginning to suffer from a reproductive disorder. If she's still laying eggs and having trouble with shell quality, I'd give extra Calcium for a week to see if that makes a difference. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Getting a fecal float to see if worms are causing some problems is always a good idea.
An antibiotic may help with inflammation and infection if you feel she's not doing very well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/infectious-bronchitis.1580476/page-2
Hi all,

I'm not sure if it is Infectious bronchitis in my girl, as neither of my girls have had any indications of illness (sneezing, coughing, lethargy, droopy combs, etc.,) I have dealt with the oddly wrinkled egg off and on since they started laying. They are now going on 3 years old (in July) and one of my girls has not laid anything since November (they went into a molt in October/November). The girl in question today has been my very consistent layer since she was 17 weeks old (near daily laying even through the winter). She began laying again after her winter break this year (in January). Since then she has had several soft shelled eggs (I gave her Calcium citrate +D for a few days) then she would go several days without laying and then a normal egg and then the cycle would repeat... her poop has been kind of "slimey" (pic) off and on. AView attachment 3511157View attachment 3511158View attachment 3511159View attachment 3511165View attachment 3511166View attachment 3511168nd yesterday she left a long blob of gelatinous stuff (that looked like it may have just been an albumin filled membrane (sorry didn't get a pic). I have not noted any worms or parasites in their poop ever.
but last fall she did have a soft shelled egg that apparently broke inside her as I found her with just the shell/membrane portion hanging out of her vent. I immediately started her on some herbal decoctions to treat/prevent infection and inflammation, cleaned her up and she seemed to be fine afterwards. Anyway, long story short, I just want to make sure my girl is okay. Her sister is doing fine (other than not laying since November) They are both running around, eating, drinking, scratching and playing as usual. Please advise if this is something I should be concerned about or if this is within normal aging processes. Thank you in advance.

@Brenda Jones, it would be best if you could copy and paste your post and start a new thread of your own so we don’t get confused about giving advice. Here is where to start a new thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/post-threa
Your hen definitely sounds like she is having problems with her oviduct she’ll gland or suffering from salpingitis. These shell problems can cause infection in the egg tract, especially when an egg has broken inside. They can start laying internally as well if the egg changes direction.

Thank You @Eggcessive
I posted a new thread
Is there anything I can do to treat an oviduct issue?

It is kind of guesswork exactly what is going on. Vet’s are usually ridiculously expensive running tests and X-rays that may or may not be helpful, or don’t know that much about laying hens. Many of today’s hatchery hens who are bred to lay almost daily, tend to have reproductive disorders often. Hopefully, she will get better, or stop laying altogether. Some vets will give expensive hormone implants that stop laying so they don’t have more problems or infection. Some people use antibiotics such as Aqua Mox amoxicillin found online to treat infection if they have had an egg break inside or if salpingitis is suspected. Enrofloxacin is another that is used. Both require an egg withdrawal time. Antibiotics will be very hard to get without a vet starting next month.

Update: I have had both my girls on Calcium 600mg +D3 for 5 days now (Matilda refused her calcium today- I don't have to force them to take it they just gobble it up with some yogurt) plus I have been giving them an herbal tincture that is antiviral/antibacterial/ anti inflammatory- with thyme and other herbs ( from "Natural Chicken Keeping" by Amy Fewell) I have seen some improvement in Merisol's (the one in the pic) feces off & on over the week where she is having more solid poo- but she is still also having some small amounts of the slimey poop as well. Merisol laid a rubber egg last night- after 1130 pm (last checked on them) Matilda (my other girl) still has not laid since November... though they both go to the nest every morning and sit for a long while. They are still running around and foraging in the fenced garden area and still acting quite normal chasing each other around if one finds something good. I will give one or two more doses of the calcium to Merisol - It really hasn't done anything for the shell production and I don't want to burden her system - They have free choice oyster/egg shell +calcium carbonate chunks, but they haven't eaten any in a long while. My vet doesn't treat chickens - he has only worked with production chickens and his attitude is if there's something wrong with them kill them and start over ( I took one of my girls there once worried that she would prolapse because of massive eggs (over 100 grams)- he told me to cull her and get a new one- she did end up prolapsing a few months later and had to go stay with a friend :( ). So I'm not sure how much help I will be able to get from him.
If there is an online source to get the antibiotic from (that is reliable) please let me know where... I looked on amazon and the amoxicillin needed a prescription ( also not sure what dose ) Thank you for all your assistance

Back
Top Bottom