Not wanting to breed

Julia WA

In the Brooder
Nov 12, 2023
Hi Group, I have a Tom and females rescued birds as forever pets. The female laid and I kept 3 eggs as I know I have homes for this
number. I do not want to breed, however, apart from taking eggs and preventing brooding/ incubation, is there any bird friendly method I can use to not be managing a turkey breeding situation. Sorry for stupid question but was motivated by rescue versus breeding. Thankyou in advance.

Hi Group, I have a Tom and females rescued birds as forever pets. The female laid and I kept 3 eggs as I know I have homes for this
number. I do not want to breed, however, apart from taking eggs and preventing brooding/ incubation, is there any bird friendly method I can use to not be managing a turkey breeding situation. Sorry for stupid question but was motivated by rescue versus breeding. Thankyou in advance.
If you don't want your turkeys to breed, only keep hens. If you want to keep both sexes, keep the toms separated from the hens.

I do not know of any way to prevent the females laying eggs, that would not be harmful to the females.

But to avoid having any turkeys hatch, just keep taking the eggs. That will not distress the turkeys.

You can cook the eggs and eat them. Or if you don't want to eat the eggs yourself, you could cook them and let the turkeys eat them.

If you don't want your turkeys to breed, only keep hens. If you want to keep both sexes, keep the toms separated from the hens.
Are there no de-sexing options as they really enjoy each other’s company.

Are there no de-sexing options as they really enjoy each other’s company.
There are no practical de-sexing options for birds.

It would be major surgery for males or females, and birds do not do well with surgery (anesthesia is a bigger problem for them than for mammals, and there is the danger of removing large organs connected to a large blood supply.)

I would just let them live together, and keep taking the eggs so they never get incubated and hatch.

There are no practical de-sexing options for birds.

It would be major surgery for males or females, and birds do not do well with surgery (anesthesia is a bigger problem for them than for mammals, and there is the danger of removing large organs connected to a large blood supply.)

I would just let them live together, and keep taking the eggs so they never get incubated and hatch.
Thank you. That is helpful. Can you advise if hens only lay in spring please?

Thank you. That is helpful. Can you advise if hens only lay in spring please?
If you keep taking the eggs without leaving a few fake eggs in the nest, the hens will keep moving their nests to better hidden spots.

Preventing them from going broody will keep them laying until late fall. I currently have one hen that is still laying this year. I keep hoping each egg she lays will be the last one. Mine normally quit laying in October.

No question is ever stupid. I'm glad you asked as that's what BYC is for! Welcome to BYC!! :frow

Back
Top Bottom