Now is the time, drastically reduce your feed bill, drastically increase the harmony of the flock

Sadly the meat will go to waste. My kids won't eat the ladies, nobody want's to eat them that I know of. I hate it, but they will end up in a feedbag in the landfill. This contributes to my procrastination of doing the deed.
Consider burying in the garden. Or into the woods for local wildlife.

Sadly the meat will go to waste. My kids won't eat the ladies, nobody want's to eat them that I know of. I hate it, but they will end up in a feedbag in the landfill. This contributes to my procrastination of doing the deed.
That's rough. It's too bad you don't have a meat-eating friend or neighbor, who is willing to come by, humanely dispatch them and then take them home to finish butchering and eat.

Those old hens make the very best stocks and soups.

Advertise the meat on Craigslist as “Free Chicken for Raw Dog Food”. Making your own raw dog food has become really popular lately and I always see people on Craigslist or asking around for leftover freezer meat, hunting and butcher scraps to make their own dog food.

Advertise the meat on Craigslist as “Free Chicken for Raw Dog Food”. Making your own raw dog food has become really popular lately and I always see people on Craigslist or asking around for leftover freezer meat, hunting and butcher scraps to make their own dog food.
My cats eat raw chicken so if I slaughter old birds they eat them

There has to be someone around that would eat the meat. Why kill if you won't eat them, or your family won't? Advertise them on Craigslist, either as laying hens or meat

who is willing to come by, humanely dispatch them and then take them home to finish butchering and eat.

It is a shame I do not know anyone willing to do that. The plan is to do the deed tonight. I caught an egg eater in the act yesterday so I know who is going first.

EDIT. The egg eater is done, just 5 or 6 more to go I think I will start again Thursday morning (dump closed tue/weds) and take them off the roost and do the deed one or two a day until its done. I don't think I want to do them all at once

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom