Oh these ducks... Prepared for rain and I got a wind storm (not literally)

shawn.dearie

Chirping
Oct 22, 2018
Southeast Louisiana
Hello folks!!!

Hoping someone can offer me some duck wisdom, or at least a shoulder to cry on over these dang ducks!!! I have none 7 week Rouens that I proudly reared from day old ducklings and dealt with the poop, and water, and smell to get them big enough to make the move out to their big pond.

I searched online, then ultimately came up with my own design for a duck house that would provide the ducks both a dry spot to hang out on ground that is predator protected, but would also allow them to have direct access to the water.

In the hope of making sure they would know this is where they need to hang out, I kept them in there for a week and diligently fed and tended to them everyday, allowing them to have much more space than in their brooder but not releasing them to the big pond.

Yesterday morning, I cut an entrance way into the hardware cloth wall that I installed out into the water to allow my feathered friends to get out of their housing as they wished.

Once they figured out it was an exit, they took off and haven't gone back in there yet. I have their food filled and tried to entice them my direction, but they want nothing to do with the house!!!

I have a ton of weeds around the pond, so I know they are eating something... But I don't know they will be enough for them. I have to remind myself that they are ducks and that they can forage, but I also don't want to just say "oh well" and hope they figure it out.

When I out the feeder in the shore where they can see it, they will walk up to it and quickly try to start eating. If I move it back inside the house area (I know they see me do it), they seem to want nothing to do with it.

I don't know if they weren't impressed with my craftsmanship or if they think they will become imprisoned again... The moral of the story, however, is that I can't get them in the house.

Does anyone have any good insight on special treats that I could use to entice them or strategy for trying to help these goofballs know I am just looking out for them???

I have some pictures attached for you to see what I am referencing. The center square is cut out to allow free access in and out through the hardware cloth that is out

Attachments

• IMG_20200427_122844107_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200427_122844107_HDR.jpg
    675.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20200427_121711111.jpg
    IMG_20200427_121711111.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20200427_121747036.jpg
    IMG_20200427_121747036.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20200427_122631608_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200427_122631608_HDR.jpg
    955.6 KB · Views: 9
First off, I love the design, very clever, but how is it predator protected, if the ducks can go out?

It is predator protected on the land side. If I had a raccoon that was laser focused on getting in there is nothing to stop them. The hope was to extend the hardware cloth out into the water and around to the front to hopefully disincentivize it from swimming around to find the opening.

I really would have loved to find a design that tried to mimic what I did but I couldn't find anything on this forum or online elsewhere.

Not to be negative...all raccoons are laser-focused on anything edible.
Not sure how you can stop them since they can swim.
I had a friend, who made floating duck homes, and they seemed to work for her. For nighttime protection, they worked well, and she had bobcats frequently.

Back
Top Bottom