Old Age?

MrIgmo

Chirping
Apr 5, 2023
Someone wrote somewhere that all chickens die a violent death. When they get old either a predator catches them because they are slow or the other chickens will kill them. What are the chances one actually goes all the way to heart failure? Is it more humane just to do it yourself quickly and painlessly and eat them yourself instead of letting some animal do it while you aren't looking? I don't want to eat my chickens. I couldn't do it when I have other options. Someone also wrote somewhere that domesticated animals kinda know the score. They made the deal with us that we get to eat them at the end of their life. That's the trade off they gave for us protecting and feeding them. It's a guaranteed good life, considering we all die eventually anyways. I suppose we can make it quick and painless, far better than being eaten alive like many things would do to them.

I guess I'm curious if it's common to have them avoid predators and disease and die from being old?

I’ve lost a few to a fox; most get traded in to a farmer friend whe they get old, but I’ve had three pass away from natural causes. I just find them laying somewhere, and the others just don’t seem to notice.,

I've had a few random deaths mostly nothing consistent. It's the same thing with humans you can prevent a lot of health hazards or deaths by just having some preventative things in place.

First was heart failure around 6 months old on a maran that had just bad genetics in my opinion. Second one was a welsummer at around 2 years that a raccoon got a hold of. Third one passed away at 5 years old and was just found laying in the coop "sleeping".

Every death was a learning lesson for us, and I learned how to take care of our newer babies with more of a keen eye. Also it helps we have 4 dogs on our property (Heeler & Pit Bulls) that are more of guardian dogs during free ranging to prevent predators. Also don't expect to just throw your average dog out in a pasture and they innately want to protect your chickens. Hope this helps.

Usually the only times the flock will beat up, or possibly kill another flock member is if they notice they're Sick, or they cannibalize them. Cannibalism can be triggered by a chicken with a wound, or broken pin feather. But both cases are pretty rare actually.

I've had birds that weren't feeling the greatest, & never gotten beaten up, or killed by their flock mates.

I did have cannibalism happen many years ago. The hens didn't like their rooster, so they ate him. He literally didn't have any wound, or blood that triggered it.

I've had plenty of natural deaths, either old age, or poor genetics. Could of deaths were roosters that killed another rooster during a dominance fight.

I had a six~seven year old hen die from old age/respiratory illness. We were first time chicken keepers and didn’t know to separate her from the other two (they never did get it but still…); then one day we noticed she was very slow, coughing a lot and just feeling sick so we put her in a dog crate with straw. We were working outside that day and I’d check on her periodically, she seemed to be happy - and then at some point I looked over and she was dead.

Janice
IMG_5153.jpeg

I also had another chicken die from hypothermia at a year old.

Our third chicken we gave away but the new owner told us she’d died a few months later from unknown causes. She was also a year old.

We just lost our Silky who was 11 1/2 years old. Just went in her sleep. Her sibling who is a frizzle is still going.

Have two 11 year old Faverolles and two 8 year old Australorps.

Nobody seems interested in killing anybody despite most of them being way past the expected ages for their breeds.

Someone wrote somewhere that all chickens die a violent death. When they get old either a predator catches them because they are slow or the other chickens will kill them. What are the chances one actually goes all the way to heart failure? Is it more humane just to do it yourself quickly and painlessly and eat them yourself instead of letting some animal do it while you aren't looking? I don't want to eat my chickens. I couldn't do it when I have other options. Someone also wrote somewhere that domesticated animals kinda know the score. They made the deal with us that we get to eat them at the end of their life. That's the trade off they gave for us protecting and feeding them. It's a guaranteed good life, considering we all die eventually anyways. I suppose we can make it quick and painless, far better than being eaten alive like many things would do to them.

I guess I'm curious if it's common to have them avoid predators and disease and die from being old?
We can't relocate possums without a permit in WV (not sure why thats a thing). I have a family of them sleeping near the coop in the trees

My oldest hens have lived to 8 1/2 and 9 years old; I have a 7 y.o. BA right now. It has been probably 10 years since I had a predator kill one of my girls (hope I'm not jinxing myself :(). Illness, medical issues have taken several, but I've never had anyone attack anyone else. On the contrary my 7 y.o. BA has acted as caregiver and guardian to two hens who passed before her. I've taken hens to my vet to be euthanized when recovery is not possible--trying to be a day early rather than a day too late in that respect. Can't eat my girls since they're pure pets.

Back
Top Bottom