Old hen was attacked by other chickens. Might be missing eye?

Good advice from everyone, but I would not give aspirin unless you're confident she's not bleeding much anymore.

Wipe out the inside of her beak with warm saline soaked qtips if she's got blood inside the beak. Often when beat up, they can get a cut in the beak and/or aspirate saliva/blood or even a bit of contents from the crop just depends. Nostrils can be gently wiped clear with qtips or a rag, I'd use warm saline for that too.

You'll have to wait for swelling to go down to be able to access the eyes, but often they are both intact. It's not uncommon for there to be bubbling of the eyes when attacked, they get blood/dirt, etc. kicked into them and beaks (from pecking) usually have bacteria on them.
Flush generously with saline or your vetericyn spray (read if that particular formula is safe for eyes, usually it is). Put the ointment (Terramycin preferably) in the eye.

Head and wattles, use triple antibiotic ointment to keep the tissue moist.

Work on hydration and getting her through shock. Sugar water works well (1tsp sugar to 1cup warm water). If you have electrolytes you can use those instead. I'd give room temp or warmed slightly.

Often an antibiotic is not needed, but if you feel you need it or want to have something on hand for now or to have for future events, then reach out to your Vet friend and see if they will give you Amoxicillin. You will likely get it more quickly than ordering it online.
Common dose of Amoxicillin for poultry is 57mg per pound of weight given 2x a day for 7-10 days.

I hope she pulls through. If she can get through shock she's got a good chance, but getting beaten up can be a bit depressing to them, so keep working with her.

Back
Top Bottom