One of my chicks has ZERO tail feathers

I just took these today. And they all turned 7 weeks today. The smallest one is one of my ISA Browns. From what I can tell, they're combs still look yellow and smallish to me. I haven't seen any waddles developing.
I don't see any that look like males, at least in these photos at this age.

I hope you have a plan for a bigger coop pretty soon, because those chicks are going to get a lot bigger, quite fast.

I don't see any that look like males, at least in these photos at this age.

I hope you have a plan for a bigger coop pretty soon, because those chicks are going to get a lot bigger, quite fast.
Yeahhhh, outside of extending the run, which i do plan to do, my options for a bigger coop are going to delayed for now.

Yeahhhh, outside of extending the run, which i do plan to do, my options for a bigger coop are going to delayed for now.
If this is your first time with chickens, it can be hard to figure out how much space they will really need when they grow into adult hens, because they start out so little. But they do grow fast, and that can catch people by surprise.

Many coops tend to have misleading labels (they say how many chickens it can hold, but they don't clarify that those numbers are for bantam chickens, or in certain climates only, or crowded past what most backyard keepers want for their chickens, or some other explanation/excuse.)

A common rule of thumb that works for many people:
4 square feet per hen in the coop (this would be the enclosed space, where they sleep at night and spend their days in bad weather)
10 square feet per hen in the run

In some climates, the chickens can be in the run the entire time they are awake, so the coop really is just for sleeping, and they can get away with less space in there. In other climates, the chickens live in the coop for months at a time (cold snowy winters) and they do better if the coop is as big as a usual run. Regardless of weather, if predators become a problem, people sometimes shut their chickens in the coop all day (safer), but that can also be a problem if the coop is too small for the number of birds.

Since you are in Virginia, your hens can probably go out in the run on most days of the year. If you cover a few sides of the run for the winter, to block wind and snow, they may be able to use it every day then too. Tarps can work well for winter weather-protection, as long as you secure them well (because flapping tarps turn into ripped tarps very quickly.) Of course you want to leave some areas uncovered, so the chickens can have fresh air and daylight.

Back
Top Bottom