Orphington questions

Normy84

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2020
We currently have Lavender orphingtons, I am looking at getting some buff and chocolate orphingtons. I am curious if there is a chart that will describe what colors I may end up with. I googled it and can only fin lavender x with black. The chart said 50/50 split. Does that mean Ill have mixed colors or 50% Lav 50% Black.

Lavender is recessive so it takes two copies to show. When a bird has one copy it carries it right unseen. That's called split.
Lavender Xs black gives you 100% splits. Idk where the 50/50 came from but its not correct.
Lavender is black underneath genetically so when bred to a non lavender or lavender carrying bird it breeds as black. Chocolate is sex linked. If you breed a lavender male to a chocolate female you'll get black pullets split to lavender and black cockerels split to both lavender and chocolate.
A chocolate male to a lavender female will give chocolate pullets split to lavender and black cockerels split to both lavender and chocolate.
Lavender to buff will be a mess. All chicks will carry a lavender gene but will be black with various amounts of buff or reddish buff leakage. Heavier leakage towards the front of the bird. It really can vary from as little as a black sex link look to 1/2 or 2/3 of the bird.

Back
Top Bottom