Orpington Gender

PeckingOddity

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2023
South Georgia
Gender?

I’m curious on one of my current 5-6week Lavender Orpington chicks. I know as early as this it’s very hard to tell between a rooster and a hen, and often easier to wait until 8 weeks, but I have a hunch and I’d like to see others opinions. We got 4 Orpingtons in March, 2 of which were lavender and 2 Buff. They were sold as pullets. One of the lavender Orpingtons had a slower growth than everyone else, and still does. Smaller, not as many tail feathers, or body feathers as everyone. She took almost 2 weeks to get where the other chicks were from that time point. Now onto my question. Her comb is much larger than her fellow lavender Orpington who is growing faster than her. It has not developed much color yet but the size as well as wattle growth has got me thinking she could possibly turn out to be a cockerel. Photos of her will be linked below, she’s named Jolly Rancher.
145F5A8A-7AFD-49AB-9F55-9719F96800C8.jpeg
C0D98D7D-54FD-4602-A59A-82DA1CEF54DC.jpeg

When I raised some of this color the combs were pretty prominent early, and the combs pinked up quickly, but they were still hens. With this color variety of Orpington you may need to wait longer to be sure. Those in your pictures look like females to me.

Back
Top Bottom