Outside Cayuga question

SammyKay

Chirping
Jan 4, 2024
So my two Cayugas are about 2 weeks old now. Once they get feathered out I had wanted to have them outside on my pond. I know it takes about 7-8 weeks for them to be fully feathered. Right now it's a little snowy and cold but not too bad. My question would be, is there something I need to do to transition them to being outside on the pond and if so when should I start doing that? And is it even a good idea to put them out at 7-8 weeks. I'm a bit worried about predators and what not as well. Would they be fine out there without a coop? Or would I still have to bring them in at night. And in regards to foraging, how would I start getting them used to that and off the flock feed. Am I just over thinking things? Or would it in reality be much smoother than in assuming haha

they still need feed to get them to come back to the coop at night which you do yes need to have a place for them that is secure from predators overnight. you start by fencing an area around the coop and keeping them in there so they get used to going in the coop at night at least a few weeks of that before you let them out on pond, or you wont be able to get them off the pond.

wild ducks can fly away from predators but domestic ducks can’t that’s why yours need a predator proof coop but wild ducks don’t . if you want ducks to live on your pond without feeding them or housing them then you should have got mallards , and in that case there’s no guarantee they will stay, they might fly away/ migrate.

Right now it's a little snowy and cold but not too bad. My question would be, is there something I need to do to transition them to being outside on the pond and if so when should I start doing that?
Take 95°F, and subtract 1 for every day, or 7 for every week, that they’re alive - that’s how cold of a temperature they can withstand. I have my ducklings hanging out outside during the day as soon as the outside temperature is equal to, or higher than, their withstand temperature - which will probably be awhile for your ducklings if it’s cold and snowy right now. If they do go outside before they’re fully feathered, you either need to watch them very close or fence them in completely.

Fully feathered ducks can withstand down to around 20°F on their own, but can deal with quite a bit colder if they have an nice, insulated coop to shelter in.

If you want ducks to live on your pond without feeding them or housing them then you should have got mallards
This is what I was thinking.

I’m not even trying to be mean, but Sammy, do you want your ducks to be your ducks? Expecting domestic ducks to live outside completely on their own, no feed, no shelter, is like expecting a little Chihuahua to survive in the wild. Your ducks will need human care - at the absolute bare minimum, duck feed.

Take 95°F, and subtract 1 for every day, or 7 for every week, that they’re alive - that’s how cold of a temperature they can withstand. I have my ducklings hanging out outside during the day as soon as the outside temperature is equal to, or higher than, their withstand temperature - which will probably be awhile for your ducklings if it’s cold and snowy right now. If they do go outside before they’re fully feathered, you either need to watch them very close or fence them in completely.

Fully feathered ducks can withstand down to around 20°F on their own, but can deal with quite a bit colder if they have an nice, insulated coop to shelter in.

This is what I was thinking.

I’m not even trying to be mean, but Sammy, do you want your ducks to be your ducks? Expecting domestic ducks to live outside completely on their own, no feed, no shelter, is like expecting a little Chihuahua to survive in the wild. Your ducks will need human care - at the absolute bare minimum, duck feed.
Thank you for the advice! Don't misunderstand, I fully want to make sure they are as safe and happy as possible. Just wanting to make they're able to free-range safely and have fun on the pond.

Back
Top Bottom