pail comb.

David61

Crowing
Jul 27, 2019
Mississippi Gulf Coast
My 9 month old buff's comb is pail white. I will look her over good in the morning. She was sitting the nest when i collected the eggs tonight. I treat the coop regularly with permethrin. I'm not thinking bugs.

Is she broody? You need to pick her up and examine her skin under her belly and elsewhere for any moving bugs or eggs. Mites especially are dangerous and make them pale and anemic. They have 8 legs using a magnifier while lice have 6 legs. Pale combs may also be common in one not laying eggs and in winter when daylight hours are decreased.

Not broody, sick. I know about bugs and use permethrin 13.3. I did a bug check on all my birds two months ago and deep clean the coop. That included spraying every inch with 13.3.

If there are mites, they hatch every 5-7 days. Spraying or dusting with permethrin needs to be done at 7 days intervals to stop the cycle. The coop can harbor the mites in the cracks and under roosts, boards etc. It can be very hard to treat for them. Many use pressure washing, taking about and thoroughly cleaning, heat and other methods.

How old is the hen, and has she laid eggs recently? Has she lost weight, does she have any enlargement in her lower belly, and is she eating? Is her crop filling during the day, then emptying overnight? Have you wormed recently? Many things could cause pale comb. We find that pictures can help.

Back
Top Bottom