Jan 28, 2024
Hi everyone!

Another chicken issue...

-Barred Plymouth Rock
-A little over one year old
-With nine other birds, no one else is sick
-Water, sometimes with ACV in it
-Feed is my regular layer feed, sometimes sprouts
-Let them outside on sunny days, or open the door to let sun/fresh air in. Otherwise, they don't have a winter run
-Started molting after Christmas.
-She appears to be done molting, but her comb is still pale. Has been like this for a month.
-Heard a sneeze today. Perhaps a little lethargic, but not obvious.
-She appears to be drinking and eating normally. Still runs for treats.
-When I let them out, she tends to stay inside the coop, and maybe a little hunched over.
-No laying.

Wondering why her comb is still pale? I haven't given her a check over, as she is hard to catch, but she doesn't appear to be very sick. Her poop also looks normal. Could this be a vitamin deficiency? Here are some pictures for reference.

Thanks a lot!

This is showing her feathers - I don't think they are sitting normal.
1710520518372.png

1710520605101.png

1710520624442.png

Combs of birds that are not laying can be pale with out it being a problem, but she is well she should be laying now. I suspect she has some sort of health issue.

Combs and wattles shrink and are pale during molt and winter months. Birds molt at different rates. Everything looks totally normal to me. It might still a little early for her to be laying; they lay based on sunlight so I wouldnt worry too much. Every chicken is different as to when they go back to laying. Now if her comb was blue, that would be another story. Her hunching and lack of wanting to come out may be due to discomfort of molting still. Birds tend to act different during molt.

If she's eating, drinking and poo looks normal- it sounds like she's okay.

It looks like she might still be re-growing her tail feathers.

I would try to catch her and give her a one over. If you find pin feathers, I would chalk it up to molting.

Thanks a lot! I'll do that. I haven't been too concerned about her - just thought she was taking a long time to come out of her molt. But I figured the best thing to do in terms of animal husbandry was to see if she was actually sick.

Thanks a lot! I'll do that. I haven't been too concerned about her - just thought she was taking a long time to come out of her molt. But I figured the best thing to do in terms of animal husbandry was to see if she was actually sick.
Did something happen to her break? I noticed the top is shorter than the bottom. Asking because if there was an injury it could explain some of her low key behavior.

It can also be more difficult for her to eat.

Gosh, I never noticed her beak. Do you think I need to trim it or file it down? I didn't notice any injury happen.

Just to update this thread, for anyone who might have a similar situation.

After many, many weeks of a slow molt and pale comb, she finally started looking better. I checked her feathers, and saw new little feathers still growing in.

Now, her comb is looking better and she is laying again. Other than some electrolytes in the water, I didn't do anything to her.

Back
Top Bottom