Paralysis - S-Shaped Neck, Falling Over

HootWhite

Chirping
Aug 12, 2023
Buckner, KY
5-6 month Buff Orpington Hen was bit by a dog on her back 2 months ago. She healed fine and in the past two weeks has been deteriorating health wise. Plumage is shiny and feathers are not falling out, eyes & nostrils are clear, no signs of external injury. Started with a limp, then neck s-shaped close to the body, became lame and laid around outside the coop. Moved into solitude 3 days ago. Has progressively became worse in past 3 days.

Treatment provided: Last 24 hours - Activated Charcoal (0.5 teaspoon to every 4 oz of water) administered by syringe. Last 48 hours provided Poly Infant Vitamins.

Overall time has transpired is about 10-12 days. The hen has been eating when placed in front of food and struggling to drink. Due to immobilization she cannot eat without assistance. Checked for feet paralysis and the hen grasps my finger with both feet. When attempting to walk she spreads her wings and falls on her side.

Other 4 hens are healthy and laying. Any thoughts or suggestions?

It is really hard to know the exact cause of her symptoms, but I would worry about a head injury, some sort of toxin, or Mareks disease. Chicken sling chairs are good to get them upright and in front of food and water. If you should lose her, I would try to get a necropsy by the state vet to look for what was wrong. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Ordered a sling, she ate well tonight and used a syringe to slowly give her water. The hen feels thin, so thinking she is very weak. She was placed at the bottom of the pecking order when introduced back from the dog bite. Hoping it’s just dehydration, lack of nutrition, and if there is a toxin the activated charcoal hopefully takes care of it.

Thanks for the advice! I will update as time passes.

Mushy chicken feed, scrambled egg are good to offer. B complex (human) vitamins are also good for chickens. 1/2 tablet daily given orally or crushed in a small amount of feed is how to give. Let us know how she is getting along.

Today seemed to go in the wrong direction and she was in bad shape through lunch time. She started gasping and holding her mouth open. Lost complete control of her neck and became limp.

Did a round of Poultry Cell vitamins, mushy feed, activated charcoal, and syringed some water to ensure hydration.

This evening she was eating some mush chicken feed (Scratch n Peck layer) and had her strength back in her neck. Even have a couple cluck’s when I entered the garage.

Update, provided some Epsom salt to help flush system. Still struggling to eat enough and is down in weight. Still not walking, not sure if it’s a toxin at this point or an internal injury. She is fighting but not sure if she is going to recover. She is continuing to open her mouth as if gasping for air.

I would not use any more Epsom salts flush. Sorry that she is not doing any better. Tube feeding could be done to help her. Fluids, raw egg, and yogurt can pass through a small tube such as aquarium air tubing and a large syringe from a feed store. A larger tube could be purchased from a vet or online. If you lose her I would have your state vet do a necropsy to look for what was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom