Pavers prevent predators?

We took the apron a little farther and just put hardware cloth under the entire run so even if something dug under the apron, it couldn't come up into the run. Probably we could have just gotten away with an apron on both the inside and outside and it would have been a little cheaper.
This is what we did for my smaller run and filled with sand. There are a couple spots where the rats have tunneled under but not into the coop. That run is on a rat superhighway so I'm calling it a win. My other coop and attached run are just on concrete cause I would rather do the work of scraping that off than dealing with more rats. They have another bigger run just on dirt but the one with hardware cloth underneath wasn't meant to permanently house chickens and hopefully someday I can get down to one flock instead of two but for now its working well enough.

I have large horse stall mats to help with digging. The reality is you need to inspect your set up daily for predators chipping away at it. I had raccoons get through hardwire cloth and I learned the hard way they can break into anything.
Trash pandas haunt my dreams. They are clever little bastards. I've had two attacks-both when I allowed chickens to sleep on top of the coop. Thankfully no fatalities but it was enough to make me very wary of them.

I have a couple of small coop/run combos and I made a base of pavers so that the entire floor is made of pavers and they extend one foot beyond the border. The run itself is one-half inch by one inch welded wire and is fully enclosed and roofed. I also have electric fencing around the perimeter. That set-up has kept my chickens safe for over four years but I still check it daily for "just in case".

Back
Top Bottom